Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lentil Sloppy Joes






I am not a vegetarian.  We usually eat meat.  My husband especially "needs" meat with his meal. *sigh*

This was a completely vegetarian meal and it was completely filling and super tasty. 

Lentils are cheap.  They don't take up a lot of room in the cupboards so they are handy to use.  I would totally make these again when I am out of meat or nothing is thawed.  I thought they were great.  The family thought they were just"okay".  I ate the rest for lunches for 3 days.  Phooey on them. :-)




I did alter the original recipe a bit as we found it too "ketchup-y" at first.  So I added some barbeque sauce and some worcestershire sauce. It helped and it was delicious. 



Lentil Sloppy Joes
Adapted from The Crunchy Kitchen

1/2 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup bbq sauce
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar, more or less to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, celery, green pepper and oregano for 5 - 7 minutes until they have softened.  Add lentils and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover.  Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring often.  You may need to add water if it gets too thick or take the cover off to thicken it up a bit. I like mine thick so I left the cover off while cooking.  Cook until lentils are cooked and hold their round shape. Serve on 100 calorie Arnold Select Sandwich Thins.

Total calories = 1095 calories
6 servings = 183 calories per sandwich without the bun

Lentil Sloppy Joe with 100 calorie sandwich thin + Quinoa with Apples and Almonds = 522 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

23 comments:

  1. I really like the idea here. It's a shame your family wasn't more receptive. I often have the same problem. I hope you are having a great day. I really like your new look. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhatEVER to the family! More for you! These sound delicious. I bet the texture of the lentils was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what this was from your quinoa picture. I love vegetarian sloppy joes. I am trying to get more vegetaran meals in my diet that don't consist of just salad or tofu as well. This would be a perfect sloppy joe recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First: I LOVE lentils! This looks delicious! Sencond: I can't wait to make this, thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the photo I saw the title and I'm shaking with excitement! I have been craving sloppy joes and I love lentils!!!!! Awwwwwwww thank you thank youuu sooo much!!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...maybe the bbq sauce would help me like lentils. It is the texture....

    The first time I ever tried to get vegetarian chili past my hubby, I noticed him messing around with his spoon, "searching for the meat". Now I just tell him if the meal is meatless and he eats it with no negative comment. If he doesn't, he doesn't eat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely will try this for one of my lunches next week - and my husband is the same way. The first meal I made him was homemade chicken noodle soup, fresh baked bread and herbed butter.

    He loved it! I cleaned up the kitchen, came back to the living room and asked if he was ready to go to the movies, and he said "what's for dinner?!"

    I quickly realized soup and bread does not = a meal! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those lentils look awesome! I think that my meat-dependant husband might even eat this. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very good. We love lentils and quinoa. They are very filling. My husband is a meat eater, but we often go meatless too, and he's fine with that. Great option here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i need to make this! i love lentils and love sloppy joes! plus i need cheap meals :) thanks debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will have to try these. We have about half a bag of lentils left over from a disaster of a recipe a couple of weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ive been wanting to try lentils...perhaps ill have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I lovelovelove lentils. I'll be trying this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen something like this - so interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to try these. They look great and I bet the kids would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lentils and quinoa... it doesn't get a whole lot healthier than that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe! My boys love ketchup so of course I made it more for them but thank you for stopping by and trying the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe make me soooooo happy, Debbie, you have no idea! I will definitely be trying this. A long time ago I subbed lentils & taco seasoning for the meat in some sort of burritos I made and I don't know why I never tried it again b/c I remember liking it. Thanks for reminding me of this clever substitution! BTW, thank you so much for all your comments and encouragement on my blog. I hope you don't mind that I only check yours about once a week--I usually only check those I subscribe to by email and yours is the only one I make a point to check by going to your site but I'm too scatterbrained to do it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for this recipe! I miss sloppy joes from the old days when I ate meat but have never searched too far for a vegetarian alternative. Now I have one! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are such an inspiration with all your healthier version recipes. Great idea! I've never thought about switching up sloppy joes before. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this great recipe. You might like to try Ellie Krieger's vegetarian chili. It is ever so tasty. Now, I am wondering,if it was her veggie soup. Her recipes are great, in general.

    Thanks for linking this up to My Meatless Mondays and putting up the badge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I love the sounds of these! I adore lentils and have been eating more vegetarian lately. I'll have to try this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just made these and for some reason they took over 2 hours to cook...not sure if it was the type of lentils or what it was. I've never made or eaten lentils and after consulting with a couple friends they did tell me they have a bite to them. I kept adding more and more water too. Still not sure if they are done right but they will have to do!

    ReplyDelete