Friday, June 4, 2010

Island Marinated Chicken



We don't eat bone in chicken too often.  Especially whole chickens. I bought 2 already cut up whole chickens awhile back that were buy one get one free. They were a good price, so I bought. I like getting things cheap.  I used the first of the chicken to make Slow Cooker Herbed Chicken.  That was good but I was ready to get some chicken on the grill.





I saw this recipe from Kristen with an island marinade.  Sounded good. I didn't have pineapple rum so I just used rum and pineapple juice. It seemed to work fine and it was delicious.  It was practically gone by the time I was able to snap a picture.






Island Chicken
Adapted from Holy Cannoli

1 cut up whole chicken, skin peeled off
1/4 cup pineapple juice
3 tbsp. rum (I used spiced Captain Morgans)
1 tbsp. chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 clove of garlic, minced


Mix up marinade, reserve 3 - 4 tbsp. for cooking. Put the chicken in a zip lock bag and mix with the rest of the chicken and mix to coat. Let marinate all day or overnight. Cook the chicken on the grill over medium heat with grill closed for 15 - 20 minutes, brushing chicken with marinade after 10 minutes. Turn chicken over and brush with reserved marinade and continue to cook until done.**


**I cheat a bit. I cook the chicken on the stove until just done and then I finish it up on the grill, brushing with the extra glaze. This way, I can be sure it is done without charring it.


2 Island Chicken thighs + Balsamic Cucumber Salad + cantaloupe =  387 calorie dinner

More chicken recipes you may like!

Smokey Caramelized Balsamic Chicken
Grilled Chicken with Ginger Peach Glaze
Raspberry Glazed Rosemary Chicken Breast


This is linked up with $5 Dinners Drumstick Favorite Recipes!

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. I am really liking your blog... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO good!!!

    foodfloozie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new layout! That chicken sounds wonderfully flavored and great picture of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm the chicken looks good! YUM!

    Hey yeah it kinda looks familiar over here! lol I'm kidding you- it's a FREE template and I think it looks nice- copy away! :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new layout. I had to scroll up to the top to make sure I didn't click on the wrong link. I am glad that you liked the chicken. It is definitely a marinade that I plan on holding onto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice new layout! And that marinade looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great recipe! i like how you cheat with the chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds delightful and refreshing for summer and i just got a new grill!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, I love the simple ingredients! It looks so good I have got to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken breasts on the bone take a lot longer to cook, but the taste is so much better than boneless, skinless breasts. Glad to see another marinade, glaze for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new look! Very bright and fresh. The chicken sounds fantastic! Great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds fantastic, but I don't grill, so I'd probably bake the chicken after marinating it. I'd still enjoy it, I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete