Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets



I love homemade chicken nuggets.  I also love restaurant chicken nuggets.  The difference is when I make them at home, I don't have to live in complete denial about what I am eating.  I know what I am eating.

And that's a good thing.






I've made chicken nuggets before using different breading but this was the first time with corn flakes. I liked it.  You can pretty much add any different spice combinations to suit your taste.  Go with italian seasoning for Italian nuggets.  Use chipotle chili powder for a tex mex flair.  The possibilities are endless.  These were good, kinda spicy but good. 

This is linked up with Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

This is also linked with the Carnival at Made it From Scratch. Also at Recipe Share from It's A Colorful Life!




Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets

4 cups Corn Flakes (when crushed, I think it's about 2 cups)
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional but I liked it)
2 egg whites
2 lbs. chicken, boneless, cut into bite size pieces


Crush Corn Flakes in a large plastic baggie.  Add seasonings and mix.  Put crumbs into a shallow bowl.  Dip chicken pieces into egg white, allowing excess to drip off.  Coat chicken with the crumbs and put on a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake for 8 - 10 minutes at 450 degrees or until chicken is no longer pink. This may vary depending on your size of chicken. 


Total calories = 1440
6 servings = 240 calories per serving

Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets + Asian Green Beans + small baked potato with sour cream = 512 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

24 comments:

  1. Nice recipe! I'm giving homemade chicken nuggets a try in the next two weeks too. Seems like this recipe has great spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks great. I love deep frying everything so I'm loving that these can be baked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend that makes excellent homemade chicken nuggets...but I've never tried my own. Good to know they're not that terrible for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade chicken nuggets. I have never tried them with corn flakes before. Thanks for sharing this tip. I will have to try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I've heard many things about the uses of cornflakes as a crust. :P

    About the mushrooms in my japchae... have you tried shiitake? Normal white mushrooms disgust me; the taste and smell make me queasy. Shiitake, however, are delicious. I didn't expect to like them, but I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I like adding shredded coconut to mine! And dipped in honey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make chicken nuggets a few times a month, and I switch it up too.

    If I am making it totally deluxe, I'll dip the chicken in crushed pretzels or crushed Doritos, or crushed tortilla chips.

    I usually bake them, but sometimes I will deep fry them, which is deluxe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet my little girl would LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! Thanks so much for showing the calorie count. The entire dinner looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look great! I made chicken tenders last night using Fiber One cereal (from The Hungry Girl). It might have been the sage and rosemary I added, but we weren't thrilled with them. Dave suggested Special K next time...but perhaps I'll go with Corn Flakes first :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried corn flakes before either, I'm sure the crunch factor was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homemade chicken nuggets are so good. I've never used corn flakes, but I did use Captain Crunch one time. They were actually pretty good, if you have some extra Captain Crunch laying around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look great, good idea with the conrflakes. and the chipotle, we love spicy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh i love these! i like how you have a printer friendly version too.....i am gonna add you to my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homemade chicken nuggets are just so awesome. I love all of the spices on these! Way more flavor than McD's!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homemade chicken nuggets especially, crunchy are really good. A healthy alternative to fast food nuggets or frozen. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, yum! These look delish!! :D I think I will put these on my to try list. :D

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for finding me! :) I appreciate your support! :) GO US!

    mmm I love chicken nuggets! :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woo-hoo for baked "fried" chicken! I've done the cornflakes thing too and liked it but the leftovers were ew b/c it gets soggy. We do a lot of leftovers around here b/c it's just the two of us so I guess I should just cook enough for two when I do oven fried chicken. Oh, a friend told me that using mashed potato flakes for a coating tastes really good too--I want to try that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a new follower from Blog Hop Friday. I am so glad I found you. Your recipes look great! I really need you considering I had a McFlurry for dinner last night!
    ~Jen
    http://sweeptight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Debbie! Thanks for your comment on my blog! I found yours through the same thing, and I really like it! Looks like you make my kind of food! I'm excited to see what you blog each day!

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 'cornflake chicken' was my go-to recipe when my kids were small. although I never thought about making them into nuggest. I need a 'retro' meal soon and just might do this, as an ode to my grown kids.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! Just wanted you to know that I made this tonight.....was a hit! I changed it up a bit. Didn't have cornfakes so I used Special K. Also used tenders, so I called them chisken fingers. Made a honey mustard sauce to go with it too....I used a little =)

    Looking forward to trying more of your yummy looking food!

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  24. oops...I mean Chicken fingers.....

    Doris

    ReplyDelete