Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style





I have never made tzatziki sauce but I love eating it. I was trying to make something Greek but I'm not too into lamb so I went for something fairly simple but still Greek enough for me!



I used boneless breast tenders and then grilled them after they marinated for awhile. The chicken turned out well and was delicious! 


We're not big feta or olive fans so we kept the toppings pretty simple. The sauce was amazing! I'd never made it before. I did go easy on the dill, I just shook a sprinkle or 2 in and tasted and it was fine. 

My brother, who is doesn't overly like cucumbers, said he LOVED the sauce.  We couldn't get enough of these.  I used 100 - calorie whole wheat pita halves.  My brother found them annoying and just put his on a tortilla.  Not very Greek but it did seem to work better.  I told you, we put everything on a tortilla! 






Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style
 Recipe adapted from Allrecipes


Souvlaki Marinade:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. black pepper


2 lbs. boneless chicken breast strips

Tzatziki Sauce:
1/2 cup seeded, shredded cucumber
1 tsp. salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed dill (more if you like)
1/2 tsp. Greek seasoning (I used oregano, thyme, basil, onion and garlic seasonings)
Salt and pepper to taste


Pita rounds
Toppings:
Romaine lettuce
Red onion, thinly sliced
Tomato
Kalamata Olives
Pepperoncini
Feta Cheese


In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, oregano and pepper.  Place chicken in a large resealable plastic baggie and pour marinade over it and refrigerate for several hours.


Toss the shredded cucumber with the tsp. of salt and allow to sit at least 5 minutes.  In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil.  Season with garlic and spices. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water over a strainer.  Stir into the sauce.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Refrigerate until ready to use. 


Remove chicken from marinade and grill until chicken is done.  Discard marinade. Cut cooked chicken into thin strips.  Place pita rounds on grill and cook for 2 minutes until warm. 

Set pita rounds, chicken and toppings out and assemble Gyros as desired. 

Total calories = 1400 calories (estimate for marinated chicken, sauce and lettuce, tomato, onion toppings)
10 servings = 140 calories

2 Chicken Souvlaki Gyros with 100 calorie pita bread = 480 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

24 comments:

  1. This looks just amazing, Debbi! Greek cuisine is one of my faves - the flavors and seasonings are so sumptuous. I will definitely try this when I'm back. It's great how connected you are in so many food sites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love slouvaki! Well I love Greek food in general but this especially haha. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job with that souvlaki.....my girls love it when I put it on the menu....and your tzatziki is perfect for this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That grilled chicken looks amazing. I have never had souvlaki, but in a way I suppose, it is a lot like a kebab. In the sense of the grilled meat and vegetables served in a pita, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother is Greek, and while she has adopted a whole lot of Western cooking souvlaki is one of those things we'll always make because it's so good and so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks and sounds incredible. I have been wanting to make some tzatziki. I've never had it before but it sounds tasty. I haven't cooked Greek food before because it almost always has olives and this is one food I cannot stand. I will have to check out this monthly challenge that you participate in. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love souvlaki! Thanks so much for making it to Greece with us. This is one heck of a dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love Greek food. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Food looks great! I love tzatziki sauce. It's quick and easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yum! This sounds absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just craving Greek chicken kabobs last night. You read my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbi, it looks delicious! I love Greek food but think I would go with the chicken also. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbi, I love your recipes!!!!
    I am glad you guys made it through the 7 yr itch too!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. How is it going Debbi? I've not been much of an encourager.....sorry. I'm doing pretty good myself! Got a skirt at the clothing exchange at my church last month and it's too big now I'm either gonna have to make it smaller (I really like it) or take it back for someone else. :-) You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I have never made anything like this before. It looks and sound delish!! I am going to be putting in on the menu. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love anything Greek - yum! I used to make my own tzatziki sauce, til my store started selling it for $2 for a 16 ounce container - sold!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love Greek!! Especially souvlaki! I love lamb, but your chicken is making me drool. And I adore tzatziki...oh man, I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Greek food and gyros are my favorite! Your recipe looks delicious! It would be fun to serve on the 4th of July. Let people add the toppings of their choice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks sooo good makes my mouth water - which is not good at 11pm Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my mom's favorite meals. I'm going to email her the link to your healthier version. Thanks Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your chicken souvlaki looks so good! I love it with tzatziki sauce. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks fresh & delicious! Might try it with lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow!! I can't wait to try this one out. Thank you so much for sharing it at the Recipe Share Party.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete