Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken Parmesan with Penne Pasta & Broccoli




I'd seen recipes where it tells to put mustard on the chicken and then dip them in a breading. I was skeptical. I'm not a huge mustard fan. I don't hate it but it needs to be used in the proper place.

Chicken was not one of those places.  Or so I thought.

Holy cow have I changed my mind.  Seriously, this is my new favorite chicken.  The flavor was unbelievable with just that little hint of tang of the dijon mustard. 

If I wasn't rushing out the door, I probably would have eaten a second piece of chicken as I kept the pasta to a very small portion.  As it was, I only ate one and I was so happy that they all didn't get eaten so I could enjoy them for lunch the next day.

My mouth is totally watering just remembering about how awesome this chicken was.  How crazy is that!

Tip:  If you really want to portion control, you need a scale and cut your chicken to the desired size.  I buy in bulk (on sale) and will portion cut chicken chunks into 4, 5 or 6 oz. portions. The leftover chicken pieces (after trimming), I bag up, weigh, and use for stir fry, chicken salad, nuggets or whatever.   It's highly annoying to cut many pound of chicken at one time but when you are done, you have your freezer stocked for quick and easy meals. 





Chicken Parmesan with Chunky Italian Sauce
Adapted from Cooking with Stilettos

Sauce:
 1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 - 28 oz. can diced tomatoes (I used 2 - 14 oz. cans)
1 tbsp. tomato paste

Breading:
1 cup Italian panko crumbs
2 tbsp. parmesan cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper

7 - 4 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to about 1 in. thick
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
7 tbsp. mozzerella cheese (I used colby jack)
Cooked whole wheat penne pasta (or whatever you have)
Fresh basil for garnish (I didn't have this)

Heat pan with cooking spray.  Add onion, green pepper and garlic and saute 3 - 5 minutes until they are soft.  Add oregano and italian seasoning, cook for about 30 seconds.  Add tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, combine panko crumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper.  Mix to combine. Brush both sides of chicken with dijon mustard.  Transfer each breast to panko mixture and turn to coat both sides.  Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.  Bake for about 25 minutes.  Top with 2 - 3 tbsp. tomato sauce and 1 tbsp. mozzarella.  Return chicken to oven and bake for 10 minutes more until it's golden brown and cheese is melted and bubbly.  Serve with whole wheat penne pasta and broccoli and more sauce.

Total calories = 1704 calories
7 servings = 243 calories per serving

Chicken Parmesan + penne pasta + broccoli = 398 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

32 comments:

  1. This sounds delish! Like you, I've never tried the mustard with chicken...but I may have to brave the unknown! Stopping by with a follow from Friday Favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum...Both look great and thanks for posting the calories. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Who would of guessed, mustard. I agree with you where mustard is concerned. So now I must try this recipe. It looks so delicious!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like my kind of dinner! I never thought to add mustard to my chicken in chicken Parmesan. I will have to try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard a lot abt chicken parmesan,haven't tried yet,thanx for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh sounds good! Just dropped by from New friend friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks really tasty! I use dry mustard when I made swiss steak in the crockpot, and I too was pleasantly surprised by the taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. You are becoming (did I already tell you this?) a main recipe source for me. That looks fantastic and I will be trying it for sure! I need to find a recipe for chicken diablo, which is chicken baked with dijon mustard with a tiny amount of honey stirred in. It is incredible. A restaurant near where I lived in my 20s made it and I could have eaten it every night. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh, this sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a delicious idea! One of my favorite ways to eat chicken is with honey mustard. Your parmesan has my mouth watering...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So colorful and delicious looking :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a flavorful recipe. I'll have to give this healthier version of "parm" a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have actually made preztel crusted chicken breasts with mustard.

    Basically, you pound out a chicken breat super thin. Add whatever kind of musard you like (I use a chiplote mustard which is awesome) and crush up pretzels in a baggie. Coat the chicken with the mustard, dip in the pretzels and cook in a non stick skillet with just enough canola oil to cover the bottom. Cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once you put the chicken in, DON'T turn it until the 4 minutes is up or the coating might come off. My whole family loved it!

    I love your version though, I will have to throw that into my rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mustard but never thought of it with chicken parm - looks delicious!!

    I can't wait to buy some veggies and fruit this weekend - I am actually drooling at your broccoli too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just happened upon your blog. Love your super recipes.

    http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dijon mustard is an awesome addition of flavor to this chicken dish. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i never thought of using mustard either.....happy friday debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never would have thought to use mustard on chicken Parmesan. I will have to try this out one night and see if the kids notice anything different.

    Thanks for posting the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. DELISH! I really have to try this! I NEED some new recipes!
    Ha! NO! Proscrastination is not pretty!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love dishes that are healthy AND delish and this one certainly falls into that category. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious, lots of great flavors in your recipe and healthy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have used mustard in chicken this way for years, I think I first saw it in a Sunset magazine and they used pork, but I used chicken. It worked so well I do it that way often. I made these in little bites and served it to my daughter and friends at a sleep-over and they all loved it and some didn't even like mustard! I use spicy mustard too.

    Yours looks amazing with all the other ingredients with it. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delicious; I am definitely going to give it a try! Glad I found your blog; can't wait to go through your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've wondered about dipping the chicken in mustard as well, but may have to give it a try next time after reading your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Debbi! I love what you have done with the place! This chicken dish looks so good! I have passed the Beautiful Blogger Award to you. Here's a link
    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    Happy Day,
    Jasey

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks awesome Debbie! Definitely going in my to try chicken list. Sorry about forgetting the Mr. Linky today! I have it up now. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is probably the only place on earth where you could find chicken parm for so few calories! Love it.

    I would NOT have thought to put mustard on chicken parm and would have been seriously wary as well...I'm SO glad it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, you've definitely given me a hankerin' for some! It does sound pretty tasty...and I happen to have some chicken in the fridge... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks very good and very interesting. As well as good for you!
    Good job,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. that looks very inviting! thanks for sending it in for PPN!:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think my husband would love this! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete