Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Butterscotch Blondies



I blame Reeni and her fantastic photography for me making these bars. Maybe it's just that I haven't made any sort of brownies or bars in a long time. I've made some sweet breads and stuff but this was the first actual dessert made in quite awhile.



I made the mistake of not using real butter. I would have, I just didn't have any. I only had I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light. Usually when I use it in meals, it's great and I don't have any issues. It didn't work in these bars though. Stick with butter.


They were still good, I mean, we ate them all without any problem! They just would have been much better with the real butter. So if you're going to go all out and eat a ton of calories, don't skimp. Use butter. It's okay once in awhile.




Butterscotch Blondies
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

2 cups packed brown sugar
2/3 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light (I really recommend using real butter though)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
1 cup chopped nuts (optional, I didn't use)


Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 13 x 9 baking pan. In a medium saucepan, heat brown sugar and butter over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. When slightly cooled, stir in the eggs one at a time, stir in vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chip pieces. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes. Cool slightly and cut bars while warm.


Total calories = 4315 calories
16 bars = 270 calories per bar


It's no fun to actually show the calories on bars like these.  Luckily we had friends over so they weren't able to sit here and tempt me for long.



17 comments:

  1. YUM! These makes me want to go buy an oven! (I don't have one in my apartment :( ) The PB dip looks equally amazing, I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been more of a blondie person. They would be better with real butter, but hey you still cut some calories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I have ever had a blondie. I love the dark brownies though. I am sad to hear that margarine didn't work in this recipe. We don't carry butter in the house unless there is a specific recipe that needs it. I have butter leftover from my streusel so I will have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look yummy. I lOVE blondies, actually better than chocolate brownies. I have a recipe for "Saucepan Scotchies" that are kind of similar. I'm happy to send you the recipe, but let me tell you, it's calorie, fat and sugar laden! Don't want to tempt you unless you'd like it!

    I do love you blog and positive attitude about cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love blondies. It's a shame these didn't meet your expectations. Next time :-). I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I've tried baking with ICBINB before and you are right, it doesn't work! It's too much water in it I think, or just too fake

    The bars still look good though!

    Sometimes in lieu of butter, I will use 1/4 cup ground flax seed AND silken tofu (1/2 cup -1 cup) especially when I am making muffins). You won't miss the butter at all!

    I actually make a graham cracker muffin that is awesome and has no butter at all:

    ■1/2 cup all purpose flour
    ■10 graham cracker sheets (I package) ground or smashed into small pieces
    ■1 cup soy milk (I used skim milk)
    ■2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    ■1/2 cup sugar
    ■2 1/2 TB. ground flax meal mixed with 3 TB warm water(this replaces the egg)
    ■4 TB. chocolate chips
    In a mixer, mix together the flour, crushed graham crackers, sugar, baking powder. Next add the milk, flax meal mixed with water, and chocolate chips.

    If you choose to make 6 jumbo muffins, then each muffin would be 251 calories, 5 fat and 2.8 fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look delicious but with the butter, at least you saved calories and fat! Wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I am diabetic, I hardly ever make desserts, but I used to love all things butterscotch! Butterscotch oatmeal cookies are my all time favorite - but those bars look insulin worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip on the butter. That is one of the things I love about blogs, you get to learn from others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree - if you are going to eat something like this, go for the butter!! But they do look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are human! so glad you shared a non calorie cutter recipe here. got a kick out of the calorie count for the whole thing. these seem like they are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blondies looks great! 50/50 Smart Balance Blend works great in baking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a sucker for bars like these! They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for trying my bars! These look really yummy with chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love blondies, too! Thanks for sharing. Now I'm hungry... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great....I could eat the whole pan, I'm sure...but then I couldn't eat for 4 days!...but it might be worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so great! I just made blondies today...crazy!

    ReplyDelete