Saturday, June 26, 2010

Butterscotch Amish Friendship Bread





So the whole point of Amish Friendship bread is to make a bread, keep a starter for yourself and then share a couple with friends so they can make bread and pass the stinky smell stuff love onto someone else. 


I ran out of friends.  At least friends who were willing to take Fred and give him a good home.  Funny how I haven't run out of friends willing to take a loaf of finished bread though. Hmmmm...




Seriously, it got to a point when people would see me coming with a bag of goo, they would run screaming through the hallways. People avoided my calls, changed their phone numbers, sent their kids to different daycares...

Well, maybe it didn't get that bad but in any case, no one else wanted the stuff. 


So I have created selfish bread. I cut the ingredients down, feed him less and thus at the end of the 10 day cycle, I have enough to keep one for myself and enough to make my bread.  The proportions are the same, just less.  He's happy but I no longer have extra starter to give away unsuspecting suckers friends.

This bread was good. Really good. I ate slightly more of it than I did the others. My 11 year old ate literally half of an 8 x 8 pan which I am secretly rather happy he did as to keep it from me.  He's skinny, he can take it. I gave a pan to my friend and she and her kids agreed that this was the best one yet. 



I was going to go just butterscotch but at the last minute decided to throw some chocolate mini's over the top, I figured it would look prettier.  And, dude, it's chocolate. One doesn't need an excuse to add chocolate to anything. 

Any suggestions for next weeks bread? 

Check out my other Amish Bread creations:

Week 1: Cinnamon
Week 2: Almond Joy
Week 3: White Chocolate Almond Craisin
Week 4: Pistachio Pineapple Coconut





Butterscotch Amish Friendship Bread


About 1 cup of starter
3  eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 small boxes of butterscotch pudding
1 cup butterscotch chips


Topping = 1 cup butterscotch chips and 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips


Spray 2 loaf pans or 8 x 8 pans with cooking spray. I find they cook better in the 8 x 8 pans.  Sprinkle the insides of pan with sugar.  Mix all ingredients together and pour into pans.  Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the bread mixture. Bake at 325 for about 1 hour.  Enjoy!


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

11 comments:

  1. That looks amazing, I'd love some now!

    Wish I were around to nab some of that goo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest ripe fresh peaches and vanilla or french vanilla pudding. I am making mine today and the family said I can't use the peaches, nobody likes them. WHATEVER, but for my first batch I'll oblige them. Do you use regular or instant pudding, does it matter? LMK soon if possible I am baking today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate always works! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful bread :)

    I would make a recipe that is the basic one and fill it with berries {blueberries, raspberries} -- YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! Actually anything with chocolate sounds good. I am tempted to make some, but I am a little afraid of the "goo" taking over. Hmmm... perhaps I could start small?

    Looking forward to next week's bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butterscotch AND chocolate. Yum! If you are short on time next weekend, Trader Joe's has a great banana bread mix. Instead of the oil, I use one large banana, mashed. Depending on my mood, I will add nuts, chocolate chips, etc. Perhaps next time I will do butterscotch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is heavenly! And how sad no one wants to make bread! I'd gladly take some...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd take some of your goo! I haven't made friendship bread in years - looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbi you ROCK! I haven't had Amish Friendship Bread in YEARS! I love that stuff! Thanks for linking to the starter. I've always wanted to know how to make it! You rock Debbi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you renamed this "selfish bread!" I remember my mom making this when I was a kid, and it kind of makes me want to start my own batch. I think I might send my friends running from it too though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd take your starter! It was going around here for a while, but I can't find anyone with one now. I suggest chocolate, caramel, and pecans (Turtle Amish Bread). I've never tried it, but it sounds good. I always made mine with cinnamon sugar and vanilla.

    ReplyDelete