Thursday, June 3, 2010

Black Bean Hummus Dip




I had the night to myself!  The husband and kids were gone so I was just cooking for myself!  You know what that means?  Hummus!!  Yes, it means hummus for dinner. 
I so love hummus or any kind of dip.  I saw this recipe and knew I had to make it.  Combining my 2 favorite beans, the chickpea and the black bean. Could it get any better?

I did find it a bit citrussy. I have no idea if that is a word.  Too much citrus.  So I added another can of chickpeas.  I thought it was perfect.

I ate a lot.

Luckily we had a bunch of veggies in the house for me to dip. The pea pods were my favorite.





I also made homemade chips. I just use my 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas, cut them into wedges and spray lightly with cooking spray.  Then season with salt, pepper and whatever other spice you might like. I like making garlic chips or ranch chips.  Garlic is my favorite.




Black Bean Hummus
Adapted from One Perfect Bite

1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. chopped garlic
2 tsp. chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. dried basil
3 tbsp. cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Serve with veggies or homemade whole wheat tortilla chips.


I ate a bunch of veggies, 2 tortillas and a whole bunch of black bean hummus. I'm not entirely sure of the calories but it was certainly healthy and delicious!




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

30 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you on the Blog Hop, and following along ... :)

    foodfloozie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbi I've never thought of adding black beans to hummus, but it is a great idea. I love to eat hummus for a light meal too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've tried chick pea hummus and white kidney bean hummus but never black bean hummus! Thanks for the recipe! Hope to see you over at my Vegetarian Foodie Fridays linky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I LOVE hummus, and black bean hummus= YUM!

    I love making chips like that also!! I sprinkle a little parmesan on mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday! I'm your newest follower! If you get a chance, please follow me too at:

    http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hummus and this looks exceptional. I am a new follower from Blog Hop Friday! http://cakeblast.com:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked ur version of hummus with black beans..must try...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to try homemade chips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad we found each other again! This sounds sooooo tasty - I'll have to make this:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hummus! I also need to try making some homemade chips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo lala. I think I am in love! I adore hummus, I would eat it for all three meals AND dessert if I could. I just feel healthy after eating a tub of it, er, I mean a healthy serving size. HaHa. I have never had it with black beans but I think I might make a batch next week. Hubby is in the field all next week so I will be in the same boat as you. It is never fun making a huge dinner for just one. Cannot wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never made black bean hummus - great idea! Both the hummus and the chips look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hummus so much! It's one of those things I can eat a whole container of, and it helps that my husband doesn't like it. It's all mine! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooh this looks so good!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog - love the recipes you have going here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just can't usually get into hummus for some reason but your version really sounds good just because of the black beans. I will have to give it a try and see.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh i love this! this is my kind of dinner when i don't have to eat with anyone either-great one! happy friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there.. Just found your blob im sure to get oodles of ideas from it. Looking forward to following it...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This look super! My two favorite things...garbanzos and black beans all in one great dip. Love the idea of whole wheat pita chips too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey there! This looks great! I am new to your blog and have become a follower! I look forward to reading your blog! Come visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

    Mama Hen
    www.mamaslittlechick.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum-O, to quote the ever insipid Rachel Ray! That hummus looks great, but it does have a lot of lemon and lime juice. Given your recommendation, I'd probably lessen those amounts a bit. Your pita chips look good too.

    I'm on that blog hop but have no idea how to hop. Good thing you're on my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks delicious. I love hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, yum! Also a great dinner for me when I'm eating alone. Hubby thinks hummus is gross, so more for me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been looking for a black bean hummus recipe. I have a white bean version that I love and have been wanting to try a black bean version for awhile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Putting chipotles in hummus is what my hubby does. Not really to my liking...I never thought of doing black bean, I think I will try it next time! Have a good weekend Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always wanted to try making homemade chips! Looks delish! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great idea to add black beans to hummus. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete