Sunday, June 20, 2010

Beef and Bean Chimichangas




Isn't that a pretty picture? I like pretty food.  These were fun to make and delicious to eat.  I love, love, love mexican food and luckily for me, most in my house agree.  We had a bunch of these leftover and they were awesome for lunches for several days.  They refrigerate well.




I added a can of black beans.  Because I often add a can of beans to things.  (good thing I don't make a lot of cheesecakes, huh?) 

I also skipped the cheese. I've found that if you make the meat sauce flavorful enough, you just don't need the cheese.  Unless you put a TON on and make it really cheesy but then you are doubling the calories and it's just not worth it. To me.  So there.  Feel free to add cheese.  I won't judge you.  :-)







Beef and Bean Chimichangas
Adapted from Between the Lines


1 lbs. ground turkey (or ground beef)
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups corn
1 - 16 oz. jar taco sauce (about 2 cups), I used mild
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can refried beans (I used a little less than a can)
10 - 100 calories whole wheat tortillas
1 tbsp. butter, melted
shredded lettuce
1 tomato, diced
Sour cream


Brown the ground turkey in a pan. Drain grease if needed, add onion, pepper and corn. Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender. Stir in the taco sauce, beans and seasonings. Cook until heated through. Remove from heat.


To assemble chimichangas: Spread about 2 tbsp of refried beans onto each of the tortillas. Spoon a slightly heaping 1/2 cup of the beef mixture down the center. Roll up the tortillas and place them seam side down onto a baking sheet. Brush tortillas with melted butter. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes in oven at 350 until golden brown. Serve with lettuce, tomato & sour cream.


Total calories = 2997 calories
10 servings = 300 calories per chimichanga without tomato, lettuce and sour cream


1 chimichanga with lettuce, tomato and light sour cream = 350 calorie dinner

I thought about having another half of one of these but one was quite filling and did the trick!  Go ahead and make rice or something if you want, we're just not rice people.


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.




22 comments:

  1. These look amazing for the calorie count associated with them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chimichangas, and I love even more that these are baked instead of fried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this dish, Debbi, but I'm a slave to cheese. I know, the calories, but I'll add lo cal cheese, OK? Super photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely wraps...looks mouthwatering

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum yum! I found you via The Girl Creative. What is your favorite recipe when hosting guests in your home? Stop over and link to my party if you get a chance! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pic! They look delicious. I love chimichangas and am glad to see that these are baked. I will be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband's favorite! I must make these for him! The photos are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I go to a Mexican restaurant I always get these. I have been wanting to make them at home but couldn't find a recipe that I would like... UNTIL NOW! :o) These are right up my alley. Thanks for posting this. I will be making these as soon as I make my beans and buy some tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum - love this recipe! Not sure I could get the family on the bandwagon though - they aren't as fond of beans as I am!

    Glad you found my friend Robin Sue's blog - Big Red Kitchen - she's an amazing home cook and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh these look delicious! and yes they are pretty-your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look delish! And the pico on top makes it even better!

    I could live off Mexan food for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that these are baked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look so good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to try these....great for lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great, will have to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chimichangas that aren't fried...I like it! I used to love getting chimichangas because they were my dad's favorite, but they're not worth the calories if they're fried!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Mexican food too! These look delicious and I love that their baked!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks good, I'm going to give these a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I boost up my meals with beans too! Oooowee, do these look good!!

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect for those guys at Tailgating time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a pretty picture and a great recipe for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Mexican food too! Chimichangas are one of my top favorites. Thanks for linking these up to Tailgating Time this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete