Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Barbeque Meatloaf


I think I've mentioned before that people tend to cringe when they hear meatloaf.

Not me, I love it.  I've made plenty of meatloafs that are super delicious and this one did not fail. 

The only thing I would have done different is to NOT use the meatloaf pan and just put it in a loaf form on a baking pan lined with foil. Then the outside would get crispier and glazed.  I tend to just think that meatloaf pans are FOR meatloaf. Well, I need to get over that!

Look at all of those oozing caramelized barbecue onions!  I would totally have put twice as many on but then, I tend to be a freak over onions. 

The daughter was the only one who scraped the onions off and I was right there to scoop up what she didn't want.  More for me!





I had to seriously use some strong will power to stop at only one serving of this.  It helped that the husband and brother both ate 2 servings which only left me one serving. 

I admit, I totally scraped the pan before I washed it.  Embarrassing, but reality. This was gooooooood!







BBQ Meatloaf
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
1 egg
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, (I used Italian flavored)
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
2/3 cup barbeque sauce, divided (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp. italian seasoning
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder (I forgot this, oops)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper (I use a grinder, I don't know how much actually gets in there)

Onion topping:
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. oil
1/4 cup barbeque sauce

Preheat oven to 425.  In a large bowl, combine all the meatloaf ingredients except 1/3 of the bbq sauce.  Spray a meatloaf pan with cooking spray. Dump the meatloaf in the pan.  Brush 1/3 cup of bbq sauce over the top. Bake at 425 for about an hour or until done. If there is any grease in the pan when it's done, carefully pour it into a can to get rid of. 

While meatloaf is cooking, prepare your onion topping.  In a pan, toss the onions and oil and cook on low heat for about 15 - 25 minutes until tender and caramelized.  Add the bbq sauce and heat through.  Top the meatloaf with the onions and serve. 

Total calories = 1896 calories
6 servings = 316 per serving

BBQ Meatloaf + Oven Baked Fries + Sour Cream = 517 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

14 comments:

  1. I'm with you...I love meatloaf. It is one of my favorite foods...I've never tried it with BBQ sauce...I bet it's good. I love all the onions on top too. I always scrap the pan...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made meatloaf, that one looks really nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to find a really GOOD meatloaf recipe, but seeing as it came from Reeni. And you gave it your Debbi Seal Of Approval. I think I'm going to have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not me, either. I LOVE meatloaf! And this one looks divine. Leave it to Reeni! I'd be grabbing my spoon for those scraped-off onions too.

    (And re the 5 bean salad. It's a HUGE salad and the vinegar is part of a marinade, so it's not a misprint.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good. I love meatloaf. As a kid, every year for my birthday I got to choose what we had for dinner. I always chose meatloaf. I found that I too don't like using the loaf pan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love meatloaf too! Dave loves BBQ anything (we should own stock in Sweet Baby Rays) so I will have to try this recipe sometime. He can't eat onions though (*sad face for me*).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love meatloaf, too. We have it about every other week...and now my husband is meatloaf lover too. I will have to try this to change it up a bit. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love meatloaf too! I don't know why so many people don't. LOL, this recipe looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to make this for ages. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My whole family loves meatloaf! This sounds great - another keeper! I've recently tried another great meatloaf recipe...Lyn at Escape From Obesity have a Low Carb Meatloaf that is darned good! I've made it twice and it goes fast. I'm sure yours will too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I make meatloaf with turkey too but now I have a great new recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for trying my meatloaf! And glad it was a hit! It's a big favorite in my house too - we make meatloaf at least once a week. And I can never stop at just one serving...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll be trying this for sure. My husband would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lurve meatloaf. With the Fall coming on and nights being chilly I think it is time to pop one in the oven. And this recipe looks so ooey gooey good with the onions! And what is even better than meatloaf? LEFT OVER meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete