Thursday, June 24, 2010

Barbecue Pork & Pineapple Quesadilla



I had less than a pound of pork and a pineapple. 

Hmmm... What to do?

Make quesadillas of course!!




I LOVE grilled pineapple.  It tastes sweet and scrumptious and tastes like dessert. 

So we grilled the pineapple and added some to the quesadillas.


I based this recipe on a grilled chicken and pineapple quesadilla from Pioneer Woman.  I chose not to grill the pork. So I just cut it into strips, slice and onion and pan fried them. Then I added the BBQ sauce and jalapeno. It seemed simpler this way and it worked well.

These were amazingly delicious!  I'm so glad I was able to stretch less than a pound of meat to make 4 servings!  I often like to dip my quesadilla's in sour cream but these were so tasty and the flavors mixed so well that I didn't need anything else.  They were perfect!

 



Barbeque Pork & Pineapple Quesadillas
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

8 whole wheat 100 calorie tortillas, toasted
1/2 pineapple, grilled
1 lbs. pork, sliced thinly
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning
1 jalapeno
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
Cilantro

Season pork with salt, pepper and cajun seasoning. Cook sliced pork and sliced onion until pork is done and onion is soft.  Add jalapeno and barbeque sauce and cook for 2 -3 minutes until heated through.  Put pork/onion mixture on toasted tortilla. Slice pineapple and add on top of pork.  Sprinkle with cilantro, top with another quesadilla, cut into 6wedges. OR, put everything one half of tortilla and fold over and cut into 3 wedges.  I prefer this, it stays neater.

Total calories = 1703 calories
4 servings = 426 calories per serving

6 wedges of Barbecue Pork & Pineapple Quesadilla & 2 grilled pineapple rings= 476 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

26 comments:

  1. Yummy! That looks amazing! I'm visiting from new friend friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy! I am suddenly on a low fat diet because I just had my gallbladder removed. You have some awesome recipes on here. I'm visiting from New Friend Friday. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks tastey to me, grilled pineapple sounds wonderful, thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh that looks good... I love anything with grilled pineapple!

    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks just delicious! What great flavours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stuffing,sounds delish...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deliciousness! I love pork and pineapple. I think that the two go wonderfully together. I also love quesadillas because a little meat goes a long way. This recipe sounds right up my alley. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love, love pineapple but have never grilled it. I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm pinapple! Another great looking recipe Debbi! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! Grilled pineapple tastes great. Are these cheeseless quesadillas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love grilled pineapple. It's one of my favourite things. I wish I could find some decent sales though seeing that it's grill season.

    New follower from New Friend Friday!

    http://colormeuntypical.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are totally making my mouth water!!!!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh this looks good! have a great weekend debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum I can't wait to try em

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! I love how you just used what you had on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love grilled pineapple adn I love quesadillas - this is a meal I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pineapples were on sale for $1 last week, and I haven't don't anything with the one I bought. Now I know what do to. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great. I'm sure it tastes even better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You would have made PW proud. Very very proud. This sounds like it tastes like a Hawaiian pizza! Which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Darnit - I was just at the store and they had whole pineapples for .99!

    Hope you are having a great weekend! Hope your party goes well today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your idea Debbi, it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks yummy and I've got some leftover chicken waiting for this. Found my way over from Pam's Midwest Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pork + Pineapple = loooove

    Looks wonderful, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so going to make this! Just need to think of a way to skip the meat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That look amazing! I think I may try it, but substitute chicken in for the pork. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How creative! Sounds like a great summer dish!

    ReplyDelete