Monday, June 7, 2010

Balsamic Cucumber Salad with Tomatoes & Red Onions

I've made a few cucumber salads with vinegar but this was the first with balsamic and red wine vinegar. I love both so I was intrigued!

This was a great, light meal that we all enjoyed.

I was hoping for a bit more punch of flavor from the vinegar and I think I would increase it next time and reduce the oil. I had already cut the oil from the original recipe and I think I could cut it even more. I'm not a big oil fan and to me all it did was double the calories of the salad.
I also added green peppers to the recipe per the husbands request. He loves green peppers in his cucumber salad. I loved the onions. I wish I had put in more, they were my favorite!

This is linked with Harrigan Howdy recipe share. Check it out for more great recipes!

Balsamic Cucumber Salad with Tomatoes & Red Onions
Adapted from Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner

2 large cucumbers (I used english cucumbers)
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced and separated
3 plum tomatoes, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dijon mustard
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. splenda (or sugar)
1/4 tsp. salt
Freshly ground garlic pepper

Mix all veggies together. Mix sauce and pour over veggie mixture. Refrigerate for an hour or so before serving.

Total calories = 444 calories

6 servings = 74 calories per serving

2 Island Chicken thighs + Balsamic Cucumber Salad + cantaloupe = 387 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from Some numbers are approximate and rounded.


  1. This is a great fresh salad using seasonal ingredients. Very colorful too. I like it!

  2. Mmm, this looks great! I can't wait until my cucumbers are up and I can make a recipe like this!

  3. I love cucumber salad. And what a great low-cal dinner suggestion!

  4. This looks great! It reminds me of something my mom used to make when I was growing up. I think it's time to make my own! Thanks for the recipe!

  5. Mmmmm...I love marinated cucumbers, I will have to try it with the balsamic vinegar. What a wonderful summer dish.

  6. It looks and sounds delicious. I love balsamic vinegar in salads and use Splenda also. Like your new layout too!!!

  7. It looks great! Very colorful and healthy!

  8. Love the color in your salad. Yum!

  9. I love all things vinegar!! Yum (but I would leave the onions out!)

  10. I've done balsamic on zucchini before but never on cucumber! Great salad.

  11. Very summery... I love cucumber and this salad is healthy and colorful...