Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Asian Style Fresh Green Beans

My brother says that fresh green beans squeek when you bite into them. I don't get that. I LOVE the slight crunch of fresh green beans. My kids will only eat canned green beans. Sigh. There is really no comparison at all. None.

This was a delicious easy sauce on the green beans. I might have went a bit much on the red pepper flakes because this was spicy! Good spicy though!

I made this with homemade chicken nuggets that one of my sons wouldn't touch. ("Mom, they don't LOOK like regular chicken nuggets!") God forbid if it doesn't look like McDonalds chicken nuggets, it must not really BE a chicken nugget. Needless to say, he wouldn't touch it. So, I pan fried some chicken for him without breading, just some salt and pepper.

My point here is that the leftover grilled chicken, without the breading, I tossed in the leftover bowl with the leftover green beans and ate it for lunch the next day. THAT seriously rocked! The chicken with this sauce was wonderful. So, you could easily make this into a main course by maybe just making a bit more sauce and adding chicken!


Asian Style Fresh Green Beans
Adapted from Recipezaar

1 lb. fresh green beans
1 1/2 tbsp. garlic (I used from a jar but I like fresh better)
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. sesame oil
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
Salt and pepper
Sesame seeds for garnish

Heat sesame oil in pan, saute green beans for about 3 minutes, add garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir fry for about 2 - 3 minutes. Add in soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper until sauce coats the beans. If you want it thicker of a sauce, you can add a bit of cornstarch and water mix to it. I didn't need to do this.

Total calories = 367 calories
3 servings = 122 calories per serving

Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets + Asian Style Green Beans + small baked potato with sour cream = 512 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

22 comments:

  1. This looks really good! I have been contemplating trying asian flavors in my cooking, and this looks like a great starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave doesn't like squeaky green beans either. It must be a man thing :-) I either have to cook them a REALLY long time so they aren't crunchy anymore or I have to serve canned green beans (blech). I will try your recipe though. Maybe if the squeaky beans involve sauce he won't notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my fav.adding brown sugar is new to me..Thanx,hav to try this...looks fresh n yummm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I am not a fan of fresh green beans.Although, I'm not a big fan of canned ones either LOL This recipe looks really good though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what he means about squeaky beans! lol...these look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green beans are my very favorite "regular" type veggie and those look delicious! Definitely a recipe I'll add to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love green beans and I get what he says about the squeaking, they do! Great recipe. I don't have any rice vinegar and am wondering how that is different. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There really isn't a comparison between fresh and canned green beans. Your kinds will grow out of it I'm sure. Just like they'll grow out of the chicken nugget phase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I'm a new follower and I think that our sons are related somehow. The kid won't eat the freshest, most delicious chicken tenders but he'll eat any type of processed chicken nuggets!! I am enjoying your recipes and its refreshing to know that we're in the same boat.
    toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That looks and sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe is another on my "will try this week" list. I love the Asian inspired flavors.
    I laughed about the homemade nuggets not making your son's cut...my kids would only eat Kraft Mac n Cheese when young because the awesome incredible homemade version was "yukky". They loved chemicals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting my blog, I love fresh green beans but often get tired of the same thing so they go bad before I decide to use them - I will have to try this recipe. My DD loves the Trader Joe green beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter loves fresh green beans, and used to pick them at her grandpa's house and eat them right then. I don't think she had canned until she went to a friends house and wouldn't eat them. She never liked McDonald's chicken nuggets either. I think it because I started her out on my home made ones and she never got the taste of the others. She's funny, it was hard making lunches for her cuz she wouldn't eat sandwiches....anyway I love green beans this way. I like the slight crunch too. Looks very good! Your chicken nuggets look awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at crushed red pepper! I'll have to make these for my lunch one day next week - I think fresh green beans are starting to get in season here!

    Isn't it crazy that kids won't even try something - but my daughter was the same way when she was younger - now she'll take at least a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your blog... all real food, real good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful dinner! I love green beans, but I know I have a hubby at home that would looove that crispy chicken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are a summer green bean household because I cannot handle the texture of canned green beans. I think I'm still scarred from eating them daily in elementary school :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How did you know that asian green beans is one of my faves? Thanks for sharing the recipe and for your words of inspiration at my post. I hope it works out for your friend and for me. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love green beans and this chinese version is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your green beans look great, delicious flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like a wonderful way to serve fresh green beans. I like the crunch of them, but not the squeak. I'll overlook it for a recipe like this though.

    ReplyDelete