Thursday, June 10, 2010

Apple Baked Oatmeal


I'm not a big oatmeal fan. I've tried to be. I know it's super healthy and filling.  My brother eats it all the time. He'll even put cocoa in it and make chocolate oatmeal for a snack. 

This pretty much changed my mind. I really liked it this way. I think it's a texture thing. I liked it more firm like a casserole rather than all soggy and mushy in a bowl.  The apples were fantastic!


I'm pretty sure I will use splenda when making this again.  It will sweeten it fine without adding a ton of calories. 

I ate this for breakfast for a couple of days after and it was still great. I just microwaved it and added a little splash of milk and it was perfect.  Not mushy at all. 




I seriously love breakfast for dinner.  On the other hand, I can't tell you how many times I'll make pulled pork or something with leftovers and totally want a sandwich in the morning of breakfast.  Clearly I am backwards. 

I also made awesome zucchini egg fritatta nests to go along with this.  It was an excellent dinner.

This is linked up with Foodie Friday from Designs from Gollum.  Also with Friday Favorites from Simply Sweet Home.  And - Flashback Friday at Kitchen Bouquet.  Oatmeal reminds me of something I ate when I was a kid so a definite flashback for me!  And, not to forget, Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Moms Unite



Apple Baked Oatmeal

2 2/3 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
1/2 cup golden raisins
4 cups milk, 1%
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 medium apples, unpeeled and chopped


Heat oven to 350. Mix everything together and pour into a 9 x 13 pan coated with cooking spray. Bake uncovered 40 - 45 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve with additional milk if desired.


Total calories = 1979 calories
8 servings = 247 calories per serving


1 serving Apple Baked Oatmeal + 3 Zucchini Egg Frittata Nests = 478 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, yum.. this looks delicious! I am definitely going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I wanna make this! It's almost dessert for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously envy the breakfast you guys get to eat! I mean looks so delicious and good! Not an oats lover, but can bet that I can't resist this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only kind of oatmeal I will eat is apple cinnamon. So I think that I would love this! Now all I need to do is get my hands on some apples and I am ready to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a big fan of any kind of breakfast food ... I would much rather have the pulled pork! But, this looks great. and easy.
    I think I will make this tomorrow morning.
    Thanks!
    p.s. it wouldn't be a very heathy idea to put a little vanilla ice cream on it would it....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love oatmeal to start with, but you're right about the texture kind of being off. I'll have to try this sometime!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I am definitely going to make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a gr8 recipe with healthy ingredients..will giv a try

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m already your Friday follower, but wanted to say hi!

    My latest postings are, “Springtime Beauty,” “The Power,” “The Triumphant Heart,” “Pure Love,” “Peace of Mind,” and “Simple Gesture.”

    Ron

    http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love baking oatmeal. Such an easy breakfast to make when we have a house full of company.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love finding something new to make for breakfast! Thanks for linking with me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I have never been a big fan of oatmeal because of the mushy factor. This seems like the perfect solution. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there Deb! Splenda takes all the guilt (well some) out of desserts!

    I'm a follower just stopping by to say HI on Blog Hop Friday!

    If you get a chance PLEASE enter to win the VERA BRADLEY GIVEAWAY that I have going on right now!

    AND please drop by my blogs follow me back?

    http://www.free-baby-stuff-resources.blogspot.com/

    http://oooh-baby-baby.blogspot.com/

    http://inspirational-visions.blogspot.com/


    J. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not a big oatmeal person either, so I should give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I can make some. I am a fan of Quaker Oat's Apple and Cinnamon Cookies..

    Hi! Im your newest follower. Glad to meet a fellow foodie thru FFF. Hope you could follow back, drop by, and say hi!

    http://penspansandpuns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for joining in with your flashback :-) I've been wanting to try baked oatmeal for a while and the addition of apples sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I only occasionally make a single serving of oatmeal for myself, because my husband doesn't like it. So I've never tried baked oatmeal before, but your recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love raisins in salad but not cooked in anything. How do you think dried cranberries would be in this instead?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm crazy about oatmeal and will be trying this one soon.

    ReplyDelete