Wednesday, May 19, 2010

White Bean and Apple Chili




This was a different chili for me. It almost didn't even seem like chili. But it was. The apple really does disappear, I wouldn't know it was apple if I hadn't put it in there myself. It was quite thick, which is how I like chili or soup to be. It was also pretty mild, so if you like a kick, add some more spices or hot sauce. I thought it was very good just the way it was.

This is linked with Ultimate Recipe Swap from Life As Mom.

Also linked with Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

This is also my submission to Souper Sundays from Kahakai Kitchen.
 Also linked with Gluten Free Wednesdays at Gluten Free Homemaker


White Bean & Apple Chili
Recipe adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking

2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (I used great northern)
1 onion, chopped
2 apples, cut in chunks, no need to peel
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper (I don't really measure)
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt

Put butter into a large crock pot. Dump in the beans, onion and apple. Add the spices and pour in the broth. Stir in the yogurt. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 - 5 hours.

Total calories = 1325 calories
6 servings = 221 calories per serving


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.



13 comments:

  1. White beans are my favorite bean...never heard of putting apple in chili. I will try this sometime. I'd have to add some chicken...I have to have meat in my chili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique chili with apple! Sounds like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a nice variation on chili! I like that you've used some ingredients you don't usually find in chili.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm...apple and beans. sounds interesting. i bet you could get away with not using the butter too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a nice combo,never tried white beans,will giv a try...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog but could you make it so it comes into our email if we chose everytime you post????

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice vegetarian chili. It is definitely a first for me with the apples. I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a perfect family meal. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. See... I read this. And I trust you. But I'm still scared to put apples in chili. it seems like sacrilege or something. But if Stephanie did it... and you did it... it's gotta be okay... and my husband keeps buying red delicious apples (which are my least favorite) so maybe I can get rid of them this way. Hmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The perfect chili for summer lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds great--I am always impressed with what the addition of apples can do to a dish. I've tried them in burgers and curry but not chili.
    ;-) Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds both really good AND really easy! My kind o' recipe! I'd probably have to spice it up a little, but yeah, I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds super yummy! I am always looking for new chili recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete