Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sweet Potato & Zucchini Cakes



Hash browns rock. Sweet potatoes are awesome. So when I saw this recipe for basically what is sweet potato hashbrowns, I knew I had to make it.


I made these once before and liked them a lot but wasn't smart enough to note any changes that I needed to make. I remember having the same issues the first time.





They fall apart quite easily so I upped the egg in the recipe to hopefully hold it together better. It didn't really matter, they still were awesome.

Also remember to squish them quite flat or they won't get as crispy and done in the middle. The first batch were too thick. Then they got better. I ate a lot so clearly they were good.




These babies don't need any sauce or dip, they are awesome just the way they are. Even if they do fall apart sometimes. :-)



Sweet Potato & Zucchini Cakes
Adapted from Pasta Queen

1 medium zucchini, about 1/2 lb.
1 large sweet potato, about 3/4 lb. peeled
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. egg beaters or 2 eggs
Salt and pepper
Cooking spray

Grate zucchini and potato, transfer to a bowl. Try to squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the zucchini. Add onion, egg, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Heat cooking spray, add zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoons, gently flattening with the back of spoon as you go. Cook until the edges are golden, 3 - 4 minutes, then flip and cook until bottom is golden and slightly crispy.

Total calories = 386 calories
12 servings = 32 calories per cake

6 oz. BBQ chicken + 5 Sweet Potato Zucchini Cakes = 469 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.

7 comments:

  1. These are a mix of the two cakes that I make. I make a sweet potato cake and a zucchini cake. I will have to try this recipe next time and combine the two together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love sweet potatoes but I have never tried this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great side dish. I love sweet potatoes. I would guess that the sweet potato flavor is dominant, at least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I'm gonna love these! What a super dish with chicken. I've never mixed the two, but have actually made pancakes with each. They'd be perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sweet potatoes so I am delighted to stumble on this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a delicious combo for a pan fried cake! I think I could eat a lot of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made something very similar to these over the summer, adding some ground cumin and coriander. Very nice texture and flavor!

    ReplyDelete