Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Pineapple





I need help. I am on the lookout for a great sweet and sour meatball recipe!

Not that these weren't good, they were awesome, I couldn't stop eating them. But they just weren't as good as I am thinking they could be. Does that make sense? It's like I'm looking for the "perfect sauce".

The meatballs were great. The sweet and sour sauce was great. I'm not sure they were great together though. I might be over analyzing this though. I seriously ate 100 of these trying to sort out my opinion.

I used Pioneer Womans meatballs. I love how they have oats rather than bread crumbs and they just are my favorite meatballs in the whole wide world.

I used a recipe for sweet and sour sauce from Allrecipes.

So I don't know if I should change meatballs to suit the sauce or change the sauce to suit the meatballs. I have a couple of different recipes out there for sweet and sour sauces that I want to try. Feel free to give me any ideas for the "perfect sauce".

This is my submission to Just Something I Whipped Up Mondays hosted by The Girl Creative.
Recipe of the Week: Superbowl Snacks at Family Fresh Meals



Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Meatballs:
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (I usually use ground turkey though)
3/4 cup oats
1 cup milk, 1%
2 tbsp. finely minced onion
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Plenty of pepper, to taste
1/2 cup flour (for coating meatballs)

Sweet and Sour Sauce:
1 cup pineapple juice (or however much you get from a can + water to get 1 cup)
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
About 1 cup pineapple or however much you like

For meatballs, combine all ingredients, roll into small balls and place on cookie sheet. Place sheet in freezer for about 5 minutes. Remove meatballs from freezer and dredge in flour. Brown meatballs in pan with cooking spray until just brown. They will cook longer in the oven so they don't need to be completely cooked. Transfer meatballs to a 9 x 13 baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.

For sauce: Combine everything, making sure there are no clumps with the cornstarch. Cook in small saucepan until thick. Add pineapple and pour sauce over meatballs. Bake in oven for about 25 - 35 minutes or until meatballs are done. Mine were pretty small so they cooked quickly.

Total calories = 2622

6 servings = 437 calories per serving

I used regular brown sugar for this but I am pretty sure that I will sub splenda and molasses next time and get a similar result. I was making this for guests who don't eat splenda.




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.

10 comments:

  1. Looks great! I've never made meatballs but I love the idea of sweet-and-sour meatballs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat these right this very minute!!! Sweet and sour meatballs for everybody!! Rice too please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a recipe for you, but can you believe I've never had sweet and sour anything? I feel like Rachael Ray would have a great recipe for this though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lov these meatballs,very flavorful...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never have sweet and sour meatballs so I cannot help you. However, if I come across a good recipe I will send it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love sweet and sour meatballs! you should try the grape jelly version in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These do look tasty! I am not sure how you would improve them. Last time I tried making swwt and sour sauce it was a disaster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie, Well done - meatballs recipe looks like just the ones I make. At home we would also add some fresh chopped herbs, like parsley. Parsley and pineapple go together really well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for some recipes for you. I've never had sweet and sour meatballs before but they sound like something I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use ketsup in my sweet and sour along with most of those ingredients. Makes it tangy. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete