Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Summer Squash Casserole



My husband is not a zucchini or a squash fan. He'll put up with what I make without too much grumbling but I often stick a baked potato in the microwave for him. That usually keeps him happy.

Today. He gave this recipe 2 thumbs up! He loved it! I was really impressed. I asked him,

"You know it's summer squash, right?"

"Of course, I was the one who bought it for you!"



Tee-hee. That's right. I asked him to pick up a few things at the grocery store and I snuck in that I needed 2 lbs. of summer squash.

Such a nice guy.

Little did he know that he would be loving it two days later!




These tasted like augratin potatoes but with zucchini instead of potatoes. Seriously. They were awesome.

My brother said that this was his favorite way that I make zucchini. Wow! This was a hit!

I'm pretty sure this will be made again. Soon.

This is linkd with:
Ultimate Recipe Swap from Life as Mom
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Mom's Unite.
What's for Dinner Wednesday over at Hon, What's for Dinner?
Two For Tuesdays at A Moderate Life.  Real food!  Good food!
This Weeks Cravings: Summer Vegetables at Moms Crazy Cooking



Summer Squash Casserole
Adapted from Eats Well With Others

2 lbs. yellow summer squash, sliced thin
2 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light
1/2 cup sour cream, light
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 2 oz. (I used colby jack but would use cheddar next time)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light, melted
1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko Italian Style)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 350. Put all the cut squash in a bowl and add a tbsp. of water, cover and microwave until tender. About 5 minutes, maybe? In a saucepan, melt 2 tbsp. butter, sour cream, cheese, salt and paprika until smooth. Whisk a small bit of the warm cheese sauce into the eggs so that they become tempered and don't cook upon contact. Drain squash and put in all into a 9 x 13 casserole sprayed with cooking spray. Pour cheese sauce evenly over the squash. Mix the ingredients for the topping, green onions, melted, bread crumbs and parmesan. Spread evenly over the sauce. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Total calories = 1060
6 servings = 177 calories per serving
8 servings = 133 calories per serving

Sloppy Buffalo Joes + Summer Squash Casserole = 452 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate or rounded.

32 comments:

  1. Yum! I love summer squash. I even bought a couple yesterday so I can't wait to try this out. I have to tell you that I loved this post. It was darling and I loved seeing your personality. Thanks for making me smile and drool at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic! I was planning to make zucchini gratin for dinner tomorrow, so it's weird that you posted this. I will add this to my list of things to try...don't have sour cream right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This casserole sounds amazing! Perfect for me to make for my daughter who actually just started to like squash and zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum this dish looks so good. I bet I could eat this in just a couple of days. I love summer squash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful. What a great way to use summer squash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great way to enjoy summer squash. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE squash, oh my word, this looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squash is one of my favorite foods, but my kids don't usually like it. I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love squash casserole...this looks very similar to the version I make. Of course yours looks much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks tasty! I'm going to save it for a meal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just planted a bunch of squash!! I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! I love squash. Gonna grill these babies up this weekend! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely looking casserole. Very healthy too. Nice meal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband is the same way. He is not a fan but if I put squash in front of him he will eat it. I will have to give this recipe a try when it cools down some here. I am currently on a no oven rule until the temperature dips down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice! i'm always looking for veggie recipes. this sounds wonderful. will make ASAP. i made some chicken salad for our camping trip last weekend. canned chicken but it was good and a refreshing change since i've NEVER made chicken salad before. thanks for all your ideas and motivation, debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've given me hope that i may be able to get the Man to eat squash1 I'm adding this to my list of recipes to try out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks sooo yummy! and sloppy joes!! I am sold. I will be making this sometime soon. Thanks for posting!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy! I think I need to go plant some more summer squash; mine didn't come up. Your post just reminded me to get out there, even if it's blowing hard! A month of high winds is a lot of time missed in the garden--time that it could have been growing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have way too many squash plants in my garden. I have a feeling I may be making this soon! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job lightening (is that a word?) up a wonderful casserole. I can't wait for our garden to start producing so I can make some.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I lov squash than zucchini...nice recipe,looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  22. Will have to try this. My guys don't love summer squash, but I'd love to have some tasty ways to sneak it in. Stopping by from TGC's New Friend Friday:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks really good! We'll have to buy some more squash at the Farmers Market this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks amazing! I actually have a summer squash sitting in my fridge right now too. Thanks for linking with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my I love summer squash.. this is SO ON MY SHOPPING LIST THIS WEEK.... glad 101 linked you and happy i found your blog

    TaDa

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was delicious--my vegetable hating fiance tried some of mine, then got a serving on his own. You know it has to be good when he makes a face like a 3 year old when I make vegetable side dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks fabulous. I am going to try it with real butter and full fat sour cream but otherwise I wouldn't change the recipe (which is kinda amazing as I tweek everything) it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for linking up, Debbi...great summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We love squash and always have a lot from the garden in the summer. This looks wonderful. I love a new squash recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Uhmm..how much sour cream. Your recipe just says 1/2 sour cream. Do you mean 1/2 cup? 1/2 carton?

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds like Mom's 1970s Squash Casserole and it's delicious, but, dear, please use real food. Don't use "lite" this and "Can't Believe" that. If you are eating moderate portions and a diversified diet nothing in real butter or sour cream is going to hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This recipe was so delicious!! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete