Thursday, May 6, 2010

Summer Spiced Carrot Salad



I didn't know what to call this salad. I didn't want to call it carrot/raisin salad as images of not-so-appealing salad buffets with the typical carrot/raisin salad come to mind. This does not resemble that. Not to offend those who DO like that salad.

It seemed to have an Asian flair to it and I served it with a teriyaki pork loin and egg rolls, but it isn't REALLY Asian? I'm not really sure what constitutes as Asian.

It is a nice summer salad and it has a wonderful spiced dressing on it. The different flavors seem to hit your tongue at different times and you're left with that "What IS that awesome flavor" question in your head.

I would actually like to try this same dressing with a broccoli slaw/carrot mix next time. While I like carrots, not all in the family are fans of JUST carrots and it's really the dressing that make it outstanding.


This is my submission to Cooking Thurdays from Diary of a Stay at Home Mom. Also linked to Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom.





Summer Spiced Carrot Salad

1 lb. carrots, cut diagonally very thin
2 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. splenda
1 clove garlic, grated or pressed
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger (I used the minced in a jar)
1/8 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 cup golden raisins

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add carrots and continue to boil for about 3 minutes, until just tender. Rinse with cold water, drain well and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients except raisins. Stir in carrots and raisins. Cove and refrigerate for several hours. I shook everything several times throughout the afternoon to make sure it was all covered.

Total calories -= 492 calories
4 servings = 123 calories per serving

Teriyaki pork loin + Carrot Salad + Egg Roll with sauce = 433 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.

11 comments:

  1. This salad looks great! I love the spices you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at cider vinegar! Yum! I love just carrots - hubs? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic recipe. I love every ingredient used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely salad. This is something I plan to try. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tangy sweet dressing sounds really good on the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a recipe similar to this in a Nantucket cookbook...never copied it though. Love the idea of cumin, cinnamon and ginger in there with the carrots. Great summer salad, full of flavor, Debbi!
    You always have such great recipes. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic carrot salad, the flavors sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds and looks super good! I love the flavor combinations. I'm going to have to try that.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a flavorful, healthy side dish or salad. It definitely adds a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dressing looks like a winner, although I would use the brocolli/carrot slaw, too. I am not a fan of carrots once cooked.

    ReplyDelete