Monday, May 24, 2010

Sloppy Buffalo Joes




Yes, another sloppy joe recipe.

This one seemed different though. It used Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce. I've recently come to appreciate this sauce.

So when I saw this recipe, I knew for sure this would be an easy weeknight meal.

I should have read the reviews.

Don't get me wrong, they turned out very good. I just had to make some last minute adjustments and have some patience at the end.




The meat was initially very soupy. It calls for a cup of tomato sauce and a cup of chicken stock. Way too much liquid. I should have seen it coming.

So as I am staring at this awesome smelling soup, I quick put a couple tablespoons of cornstarch in a bit of water and add it to the joes. Better.

But still too goopy. I like my sloppy joes thicker.

So I just let it hang out on the stove for about 20 minutes bubbling away and enough liquid went away and they turned out fine.

Whew!

Dinner saved. Still, I should have read the reviews.





Sloppy Buffalo Joes
Adapted from Rachael Ray

2 lbs. ground turkey
1 carrot, chopped or grated
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup hot sauce, I used Franks Wing Sauce
1/2 can tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken stock (or however much you need to get the right consistency)
Optional toppings: Blue cheese crumbles or pickles

Total calories = 1712 calories without buns or bread


I didn't calculate how many cups there were. We used the Arnold Selects Sandwich Thins at 100 calories a piece. 4 of us at this for dinner with plenty of leftovers for several days worth of lunches for me. I am estimating that one sandwich was about 275 calories.

1 Sloppy Buffalo Joe + Summer Squash Casserole = 452 calories




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate or rounded.

27 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that it turned our alright, it looks delicious. I love Franks hot sauce, I put it in just about everything I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very good, especially with the hot sauce and blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I'd just eat it with a fork. ;) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ive had a few recipes that it happens like this...glad dinner was saved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these some time ago - and I remember really liking them. I think I had to cook them down a bit so that they weren't runny - but I don't remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got this recipe straightened around! I try to read reviews as often as possible, but often skip them. A mistake. Sometimes the reviews give fixes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I am so glad you commented on my blog because I am loving your's. I enjoy all of your recipes. There are so many I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like it turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay. I'm intrigued!! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoy a good sloppy joe, and I must say the flavors in this look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the variation on the classic sloppy joe. We had sloppy joes for dinner last night, and now I wish I'd had this recipe then. :) I love hot sauce, so I'll have to try this recipe soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet that wing sauce makes a great addition to the joes. Good thinking in thickening up the sauce with cornstarch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How funny, we both posted Buffalo dishes right beside one another! I am so excited I found yours though...I can't wait to try it. My husband LOVES buffalo anything (me too), so I really think he'll enjoy this one. Thanks for adding that the recipe calls for too much liquid too. I'll be sure to adapt that part to our tastes. Great recipe! Looks good :-p

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love the idea of buffalo flavor in there! I love buffalo sauce. Thanks for letting us know about the soupy-ness... that's happened to me before when I'm in a hurry and forget to read all the comments and reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband loves hot sauce so much he wouldn't even care if they were runny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ya know, I'm not a big sloppy joe fan, but anything with frank's has got to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it is another sloppy joe recipe, but the wing sauce and turkey make it different! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My son LOVES sloppy Joes. I've never made them with buffalo sauce. I'll have to give this a try!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks delicious! We are huge fans of sloppy Joes in our house. And the summer squash looks heavenly!!!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep, same thing happened to me the first time I did it, and did exactly the same thing - just cooked it down and it was fine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this exact same recipe and it got mixed results at my house. I have a Weight Watchers Sloppy Joe recipe here http://lovebeinginthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/sloppy-joes-recipe.html
    that is our very favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks really good!! I never thought of putting the buffalo sauce into sloppy joes!! I made another sloppy joe recipe and it was soupy also, cornstarch was a great savor!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea to add Buffalo Sauce! I would never have thought about it. We like our Sloppy Joes over Baked Potatoes...really good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back to Tuesday Tastes, Debbi! What a fun twist on sloppy joes! Thanks for linking with Tuesday Tastes! I am so happy to have you! People's Choice polls are open - head over and vote for your favorite when you have a chance!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Dasiy
    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/05/tuesday-tastes-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a terrific idea! i am linking a buffalo chicken wing recipe...but this is so smart...hearty and wingy all at the same time. i am definitely going to try this. thanks for linking it up to TNSC

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great recipe - perfect for a FB game!! I would love the buffalo taste to this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! I found your blog from the Tuesday Night Supper Club. I love it! I would love to invite you over to visit my blog and perhaps join my Thursday Carnival (it's been a bit of a slow start) at Around My Family Table. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete