Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Corn


Got some quinoa? And some sun dried tomatoes? Make this side dish. It's awesome. It's a little spicy so tame the heat if you'd like but I liked it. And I'm typically not a super spicy person. Many different flavors and textures that went super together. I liked it more and more with every bite.

We ate this with an awesome Grilled Chicken with Ginger Peach Glaze. Awesome summer meal!

Now, if summer would just get here!!





Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Corn
Adapted from Eats Well With Others
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained &chopped
2 cups chicken broth (water if going vegetarian)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper

Cook onion and garlic in a pan with cooking spray for a few minutes until softened. Add sundried tomatoes and jalapeno. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add quinoa, spices and broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 - 30 minutes or until the broth has evaporated. Fluff with fork.

Total calories = 767 calories
4 servings = 192 calories per serving

Grilled chicken with Ginger Peach Glaze & Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Corn = 473 calorie dinner.


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.




18 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this. I don't like the flavor of quinoa, but my daughter seems to love it. A vegan friend of mine makes it and she scarfs it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!!

    By the way... love the city you live in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wished I liked sun dried tomatoes! That looks so good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds so good. I bet the flavors all blend wonderfully! I like a little spice myself so we'll definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never cooked with quinoa and am wondering what it tastes like. It looks like a really good dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never tried this before, the recipe sounds interesting, I'll ahve to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love quinoa...this recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need more recipes for quinoa. I've bookmarked this to try soon. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Quinoa!

    And Octopus is like Calamari only more meaty and tender when cooked properly. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got to get to the bottom of quinoa. What does it taste like? I've never cooked with it, but so many bloggers are. Do love sun dried tomatoes though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely a keeper! I've been wanting to try quinoa!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wanting to try quinoa. Thanks for a delicious sounding recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really good. I've heard so much about quinoa, Thank you for sharing this!! I'm going to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds really good Debbi, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all the flavors in this but I still haven't tried quinoa! I keep forgetting to buy it. Shame on me. Thanks for sending it to the Showdown!

    ReplyDelete
  16. God I totally forgot about this recipe! Thanks for reminding me...I really should remake it and update the horrendous photo that I'm sure is there. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aaaak . . . It' only 9:30 in morning where I am, but you have managed to make me soooooooo hungry!!! I'm a vegetarian and this recipe looks delicious! Must go find the ingredients and start making it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds much better than the plain quinoa I tried. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete