Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Herbed Slow Cooker Chicken

I had a whole cut up chicken and a crock pot. Not much else.


So this was the perfect recipe. I added some more spices than usual and I might have over did it by a bit. It had a pretty strong flavor. I liked it but my daughter said there was a bit too much of the spices for her. Maybe the poultry spice was a bit much. Phooey on her, she just dips it in ketchup anyways!

This is my submission to Slow Cooker Wednesday from Dining with Debbie.





Herbed Slow Cooker Chicken
Adapted from A Taste of Home

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. poultry spice
pinch of allspice
1 whole chicken, cut up
1/3 cup chicken broth

Remove skin from chicken. In a small bowl, combine herbs and spices and olive oil. Rub over chicken. Place in large crockpot, add broth around the edges. Cover and cook on low for 4 - 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.

Calories will vary as to what kind of chicken piece you eat and how many ounces of chicken you eat. I ate:

1 small Herbed Chicken Thigh + Coleslaw + small baked potato & sour cream = under 500 calorie dinner


18 comments:

  1. I can always use a good slow cooker recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great--I am always a fan of more spice! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so guiltless and yummy!! Can't wait to try it.
    Have a great day.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crock-pot recipes. The chicken looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. You make me laugh!
    2. Will you teach me to cut up a whole chicken?
    3. I find cutting the skin off of chicken kind of zen/relaxing as long as I disengage from the fact this bird was once alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmm! It looks delicious and interesting with the allspice added. Don't think I've ever added that to chicken and will have to give it a go! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never actually done a chicken like that in the crock pot - only chicken breasts when I make a big batch of chicken taco meat - phoey on your daughter for thinking its too spicy!

    On a side note, I use www.scribd.com to get printable versions of my recipes. I just upload them from a word document and it gives me a link - let me know if it works for you or if you need any help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great and low calorie meal...the chicken rub sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks soo very good!! I love to use my crock-pot!! I would love a tutorial on how to cut a whole chicken, I never do that cause I do not know how!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least it looks good and you enjoyed it!

    Hi from another (former) Minneeapolis resident :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious, bet it's good cold next day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, wow. I've never tried doing a whole chicken, but I LOVE cooking in the slow cooker. And the spice rub sounds fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can you go wrong with chicken and a crock pot! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the spices are nice on it! I bet it was tender too from being slow-cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never cooked chicken in the crockpot. I'll have to try it. I hardly ever use mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum, yum, yum!!! This looks delicious!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete