Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Grilled Cheese Onion Burgers

Grilled cheese is very popular in this house. We make it all the time. Sometimes we use different cheeses, sometime with ham but usually just pretty basic grilled cheese.

Reeni from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice enlightened me to Katie Lee's Award Winning Logan County Grilled Cheese Burgers. She has an awesome blog with some great recipes.





So Reeni of course chose this burger for her Burger Club to make, taste and rate.

We all loved this. I loved how the cheese and onions were the main attraction rather than the burger. Usually it's all about the burger but this was a nice change from the normal burger.

I did try to cut as many calories as possible. The calories aren't too bad considering it was ooey gooey buttery and cheesy!

4 of us ate these tonight and we all rated them a 4. We will for sure make them again.





Grilled Cheese Onion Burgers
Logan County Burgers
From The Comfort Table by Katie Lee

1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 large egg, lightly beaten (I'll use egg beaters next time to lower calories)
1 medium onion, half grated, the other half thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
12 slices wheat bread (I used Wonder Whole Wheat, 55 calories slice)
2 tbsp. butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light)
12 slices American cheese (I used 2%)

In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, grated onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Form into 6 thin patties. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers until done. Drain on paper towels. Clean skillet, place bread butter slice down. Top each with a slice of cheese, some onions and a burger. Top with another slice of cheese. Then place bread, butter side up. Cook until toasted, carefully flip sandwich and toast on the other side.

Total calories = 2128 calories
6 sandwiches = 355 calories per sandwich

1 Grilled Cheese Onion Burger + leftover chili = 552 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.



15 comments:

  1. 355 calories isn't really that bad for a burger! Good idea using 2% cheese. I also used wheat bread on mine. You did a good job of lightening them up. Thanks for participating again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me crave for burgers too! A light version sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this is simple while still being absolutely delicious. It's just a burger ALL THE WAY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cheese oozing out all around the burger. My husband would love these. I will have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog last week - love it!

    Your grilled cheese burgers are what is known as a "Patty Melt" where I am from, although it's usually served on rye bread.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crispy n yummy burger,lov it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love grilled cheese. I absolutely love hamburger. You've made me a really happy gal by combining the two. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a "patty melt" with a hamburger on rye to us and I can't believe I've never made one as we love them. It's time to do that, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is my kind of burger! It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at cheese, but lost me at onions. But there is something to behold for a great grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! Grilled cheese sandwiches are total comfort food! And adding a hamburger patty - you're a genius. I have never thought about doing that but now I'm going to!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come visit again soon!
    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Love the idea of serving burger this way...looks delicious with the melted cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet I could make these with veggie burgers too! It certainly looks delish!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. First time here at your blog. Saw the roundup at Reeni's and I like the way your prepared it and made it much healthier.

    ReplyDelete