Saturday, May 15, 2010

Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today is National Chocolate Chip Day. While there are many holidays I don't chose to celebrate, this one seems pretty special.

I don't make cookies too often. I'm not good at it. I burn batches, I over cook many and the ones that I don't burn, just often aren't too pretty. I've never been a good baker. Even cakes and muffins, I have a hard time telling when they are done and I'm just not very good at it.

Part of it is because you actually have to measure. I like to just throw things in. Now that I have been counting calories, I tend to measure more but still, it's not unlike me to skip an ingredient in a recipe and not realize it until after.

Or put a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon or vice versa.

Or grab the wrong spice out of the cabinet. Usually it turns out fine. But with baking, it's much more precise. If I'm making fajitas and I grab cinnamon instead of cumin, it will be okay. Not so much with cookies. Grabbing cumin could be bad. Real bad.

I saw this recipe from The Tidy Nest, actually, my kids were lurking behind me when I saw this recipe and they asked er, demanded that I make these cookies. It didn't take much arm twisting. I hadn't made cookies in a long time. It was time.

Alisa deemed these the best chocolate chip cookies. She may not be far off. They were quite good. Interestingly though, she said they are soft and chewy. Mine came out thin and crispy. I like them both ways so it was good.

Also, I liked these WAY better the next day. While they were good right out of the oven, they were superb the next day. Like, keep-eating-them-until-your-sick kind of superb. Really. We ate a lot of these.

Now I remember why I don't make cookies too often. At least I didn't use cumin.




Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from The Tidy Nest

2 cups unsalted butter, softened (4 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 cups milk chocolate chips
2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add vanilla. Mix flour, baking soda and salt together. Gradually add flour mixture to to butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and toasted pecans. (to toast pecans, put in pan on stove for a few minute on medium heat, stirring often not to burn). Bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes. I used a tsp. to measure and mine spread quite a bit and were quite thin.

Calories? More than you and I can possibly imagine. I will live blissfully in denial for today. After all, it's a holiday! :-)


12 comments:

  1. Cumin actually might not be so bad... of course you'd have to warn anyone that it's in there, but it could actually work, maybe. :P

    If you're looking for a slightly healthier chocolate chip recipe, this EVOO chocolate chip cookie is really good: http://www.sliceoffeist.com/2009/10/sometimes-just-sometimesyour-man-might-be-right/
    And you can use canola oil instead of EVOO so it tastes normal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'll be... national chocolate chip day eh? Hmm... that means I will have to get into the kitchen asap and bake. You kind of have to since it is a national holiday and all.
    P.S your chocolate chip cooks = yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you remembered. I forgot. My bad! Your cookies look delicious, Deb. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. National Cookie Day? How'd I miss that? I'm not much of a baker (although I don't think I've grabbed a wrong spice, but I did have the shaker top come off of my garlic and added waaaayyy too much and it still tasted good, but they weren't cookies) Anyway...if they are the best cookies Alisa has ever tasted, you did good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cookies look delicious! I love to bake them and would more often if it weren't for eating all the calories! I will have to try this recipe as they are great when crunchy and filled with all those nuts! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool holiday! And there's still time for me to make something. The cookies look yummy - and a cheat day is good every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have definitely celebrated that holiday if I knew! Every day should be a Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why do I miss all of the best holiday??? This is not good. I'm going to have to make up for this. Really.

    The cookies look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the texture of these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, my family would love those crispy chocolate chip cookies. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love thin and crispy cookies like that! For someone who says she doesn't bake, you did a great job. Happy belated Chocolate Chip Cookie Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this recipe under your "not so healthy desserts". My kinda cookies :)

    ReplyDelete