Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chunky Chili & Sweet Corn Bread




This is one of my original chili recipes. This was before I experimented with different flavors and spices. I have many, many chili recipes I like to make but this one is simple and is very good. It uses the chili packet. Actually, this time, I put two chili packets in here. It needed more flavor and I wasn't in the mood to deal with chili powder and spices.






I always put chili in the crockpot. Slow cookers were MADE for chili in my opinion. The longer it cooks, the tastier it seems to get. I just cook the meat and veggies, dump it all in and BAM. Dinners done.




Except for the corn bread. Although, this was a simple and tasty cornbread to make. Funny how it worked out actually. I had just enough sugar, just enough brown sugar and just enough oil to make these.


Clearly I need to go shopping after this.




They turned out perfect and it was just what I needed on a cloudy, dreary day. I ate way too much but left super full and happy.


This is my submission to Souper Sunday with Kahakai Kitchen.






Chunky Chili

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
2 onions, rough chopped
2 carrots, cut in half and chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 pkgs. McCormick chili seasoning (I had one mild and one regular)
1 can tomato paste
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 can baked beans, undrained
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 - 15 oz. can tomato sauce

Cook ground turkey with onion and the rest of the chopped veggies. Cook until ground turkey is done. Put in crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients and cook for several hours until hot and flavors meld together nicely. Yum.

Total calories = 2957 calories
15 - 1 cup servings = 197 calories per cup


Golden Sweet Cornbread

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line pans for 15 muffins. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in the egg, milk and oil until well combined. Pour into 15 muffins liners. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes. Mine cooked for 22 minutes.

Total calories = 2327
15 servings = 155 calories per corn muffin

2 cups of Chunky Chili + 2 Sweet Corn Muffins = 704 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good reliable recipe. I don't mind using those little packets. They are essentially just seasonings ready mixed. Nothing much wrong with that in my opinion! Since your recipe is an old favorite you should join up with my Flashback Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chili & homemade cornbread looks great! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE chili and grew up eating it! However, I've never tried cooking it in a slow cooker. I always just let it sit on the stove for along time.
    I will try to make it in the slow cooker next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both wonderful recipes. Now go do your shopping! Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent chili and so perfect with that golden sweet corn bread muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the only thing better than chili is some corn bread to go with it. Love them both and yours looks very inviting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you on slow cookers being made for chili. They just make it so flavorful and tender! Love the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you, my crock-pot gets more use from making chili than anything else. It is nice to just throw it all in the crock-pot and run errands, meanwhile your meal is cooking away at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually never made chili in a crockpot - but it makes perfect sense!

    Love the stats!!

    Happy Friday - hope you have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm yummy! Love the sweet corn bread!

    I gave you an award!
    http://angieshealthylivingblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/honest-scrap-award.html
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I use the packets plenty of times, too! Your putting me in the mood for chili and cornbread! Great idea with the crockpot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am vegetarian, so Chunky Chili may be out of choice for me, but I loved the Sweet Corn Bread. Gosh, it looks great. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like it's oozing with flavor! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flavor combinations you have come up with and I have been looking for a good corn bread recipe!! Thanks for sharing. I will be making both soon. Also thanks for the calorie breakdown that helps a ton!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These two are wonderful together. I love sweet corn muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing more comforting than chili and corn muffins. This looks delicious. Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays. Hope to have you back again.
    ;-)

    Aloha,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chili and cornbread is the ultimate comfort meal! Such a delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipes! Looks delicious! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete