Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cheese Ravioli with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce



This was my first time roasting peppers. Seriously. I usually just buy the jar of roasted red peppers. I love them but that can get really expensive. So I buy my peppers at Costco which makes roasting them in the oven, way more economical. So this was the way to go. It really was pretty simple and kinda fun too!

I used my mini chopper food processor which worked great to puree the red peppers. I left mine a bit chunky but you could puree it smoother if you wanted a smoother sauce.

This was really good sauce. I've made red pepper sauce before but this was my first time putting cream in it for a cream sauce. I loved how it came together and the cheese ravioli were perfect with it. I used the extra over the broccoli and it was delicious.

This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog.

This is also linked to Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory.


Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce

2 large red bell peppers
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups half and half, fat free
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper


Preheat broiler. Light coat the red peppers with olive oil. Grill peppers under the broiler until the skin is blackened and the flesh has softened slightly. Place peppers in a plastic bag to cool for approximately 45 minutes. Remove seeds and skin from the peppers, the skin should come off the peppers easily now. Cut peppers into small pieces.


In a skillet, cook and stir the garlic, basil and red peppers in the olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes. Place mixture in a blender or food processor. I used my little food processor. Puree to desired consistency. I like mine a bit chunky. Return puree to skillet and heat. Stir in the half and half and the Parmesan cheese, cook and stir until the cheese melts. Do not boil though. Keep it low. Add the butter, stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with pasta, ravioli or whatever floats your boat.


Total calories for sauce only = 824 calories
6 servings = 137 calories

Cheese Ravioli with Red Pepper Cream Sauce = 632 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.

20 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds delicious with the cream. I must give it a try! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds incredibly delicious. Happy Mother's Day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks phenomenal. I always buy the roasted red peppers and I will be honest that I never once thought about roasting them myself. I suppose I should get into the habit. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo! The broccoli looks so nice with this lovely dish. Don't you love it simple, fun and oh so good?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love roasted peppers, Debbi! And adding the cream would make this sauce lovely and rich. Over any kind of pasta it would be wonderful.
    Great work on your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love roasted red peppers :) the ravioli looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is yummy! My family loves roasted red pepper cream sauce and it is so good over ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! Never made red pepper sauce, but I've had it before. Fantastic. :)

    I can't wait to see what kind of mango recipes you have. I've never made anything more than smoothies with them because they get eaten too quickly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a serious addiction to ravioli...and that red pepper cream sauce sounds. Kind of amazing. SO going to have to try this! It's even more fun to hold the pepper on a fork and roast it over the stovetop like you would a marshmallow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such a sweet and savory dish with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to roast my own peppers! I love the sound of this with cream in it. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this at Meatless Mondays. That sauce so appeals to me. I admit, I have a bottled of roasted red peppers waiting to be used. May I take the easy way out and use them. I want to try this dish. It sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet this is going to be a popular choice at Presto Pasta Nights. Thanks for sharing such deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made roasted red pepper sauce once! it was during my blogging intermission. I added some cayenne and chili powder and served it over cauliflower fritters. So tasty. The only bad part was that my smoke alarm kept thinking I was burning the house down when I was roasting the peppers. Silly smoke alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have wanted to try red pepper cream sauce for so long in a chicken spinach lasagna, but couldn't stand all the cream...I'm so excited about this version!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree - roasting them yourself is way cheaper than the jarred version! You just reminded me about a recipe I made many moons ago - I made sweet potato ravioli with a red pepper cream sauce - your post totally reminded me of that!

    http://biz319.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/dinner-and-bsi-recipe-sweet-potato/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fantastic! I roast jalapeno and poblano peppers in the oven, but usually buy the jarred roasted pepper. Your recipe makes me want to skip the shortcut of purchasing the jarred peppers and roast them in the oven. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pepper cream sauce sounds fabulous!! I love a good cream sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never tried roasting my own peppers! Thanks for the inspiration to try it!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like such a good sauce, I've saved it to try soon. I often get stuck in a Marinara rut.

    ReplyDelete