Thursday, May 13, 2010

Buffalo Chicken and Potatoes



I am not a fan of buffalo wings. The typical buffalo wing sauce is just "okay" to me usually. It's not just the sauce though, I don't like eating chicken wings. You get super messy and I don't like eating chicken meat off the bones. So you can see why I would hesitate to try a buffalo sauce recipe.

I've been hanging onto this Betty Crocker recipe for awhile. I finally bought wing sauce and made the recipe with boneless chicken strips. I've seen many recommendations for Franks hot sauce or wing sauce. So I went with it.




This recipe and the wing sauce most certainly did not disappoint. We all loved this and said we'd make it again for sure. It was very simple to put together and super tasty.

I used ranch as we are not blue cheese fans but those who do like blue cheese, may want to go that route. I'll let you.

It also gives the idea to use other sauces rather than hot sauce, like barbeque sauce, teriyaki and sweet and sour. I LOVED the wing sauce but don't be surprised if you see me with this same recipe and some other sauces. They sound really good!

The only think I would change for next time, would be to leave off the corn flake crumb topping. The crunch was okay but the extra calories for the butter and corn flakes wasn't that good. Although...

Some of the reviewers said they used crushed cheez-it crackers over the boneless wings or spread on top and that sounds awesome! SO - I might do that. So much for cutting calories, huh.

This is linked to:
 Foodie Friday from Designs by Gollum.
Friday Favorites from Simply Sweet Home.
Flashback Friday at Kitchen Boutique
Ingredient Spotlight: Hot Sauce at Eat at Home
Recipe of the Week: Cheese at Family Fresh Meals




Buffalo Chicken & Potatoes
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken strips
1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (I used Franks Wing Sauce)
1 - 24 oz. bag shredded potatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cup light ranch (or blue cheese if you prefer)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)
1 can (10 oz) cream of celery soup
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
2 tbsp. butter
3 - 4 green onions (for topping)


Heat oven to 375. Spray 13 x 9 in. baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, stir together, potatoes, onion, green pepper, dressing, cheese and soup. Spoon into baking dish. In same bowl, put the chicken strips and buffalo wing sauce and mix together. Spread in a single layer over potato mixture. Stir together corn flake crumbs and butter and sprinkle in baking dish over chicken. Cover with foil, bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and chicken is done. Sprinkle with green onions.


Total calories = 3031 calories**
6 servings = 505 calories


Buffalo Chicken & Potatoes + 1/2 cup Green Beans = 525 calorie dinner



** I would leave off the corn flake crumbs and butter saving over 300 calories next time, saving each portion by 50 calories. It didn't need the crumb topping.




Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.

31 comments:

  1. I'm hesitant like you were. Not really a buffalo wings fan, but hubby loves them so I might have to give these a try.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love buffalo wings, buffalo sauce, your casserole looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat my husband's shoe if it had Frank's sauce on it.
    Well.
    Maybe MY shoe.

    I love casseroles. When I was first really learning to cook a few years ago, I used to make a lot of casseroles. My sister still makes fun of me. Luckily I married a man who likes them. So there sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love Franks hot sauce but I am originally from NY so I grew up on the stuff. To me that is the only way to go when you are using hot sauce. I have to agree with you on the cornflakes I think that the cheez-its would be much better on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word this sounds perfect for my family! Thanks for sharing this and I'm like you, crunch topping might be left off to save those few calories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I actually really, really enjoy buffalo wings, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this casserole as well...yeah, leave off the crumb topping and it will for sure save you some calories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at Frank's hot sauce!! Sadly, no one else in my family likes that - so I may have to come up with a single serve version for my lunch next week - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you found my site so I could find your blog...this is heaven! I'm your newest follower! :)

    Murdocks Mama

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same way with chicken, I HATE to eat it off the bones, so I don't do chicken wings either, but I love the sauce, so I would totally make this, and I don't think 500 calories is too bad, because it looks like the portions are a pretty good size! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks yummy! We use Texas Pete buffalo hot sause. We like all things hot. Thanks for stopping over. Come back by anytime.
    I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! THis looks so yummy!

    Hi! I'm following you back! Thanks for joining in our blog hop fun!

    http://chubbycheeksthinks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog! The cookies are really good the day after, and my husband will attest to that! I love this meal ,looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Afternoon! Nice to meet you! Popping in to be your newest Follower! Hooray! Swing by my blog and follow me too - when you get a chance.

    Bridgette Groschen
    Groschen Goblins
    www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am here from Friday Blog hop, Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I always love new recipes! I love also that you put the calorie counts and all! New Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so yummy!! I am your newest follower from Friday Follow.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hubby would like this.

    Now following from FF. Have a wonderful weekend :)

    http://blommi.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not crazy about hot wings either! And when I do eat them I like them in Ranch. This casserole really looks delicious! And I like it with the potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's so delicious looking! I'm on a diet and that wouldn't fit in, but I use Franks Red Hot on a lot of stuff!

    Following from Friday Follow! I hope you come visit us and do the same! :) Have a great weekend!

    http://theartsymom.tk

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks AMAZING! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Have a fabulous day!
    http://www.mommyofoneandcounting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My kids would love to try this recipe. Thanks for posting it. Happy Friday Follow.

    Lynn
    http://www.middayescapades.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum!!!

    Can you shoot me an email at crystalandcomp AT yahoo DOT com. I wanted to see if you would be interested in being a part of a post for my Twin Series next week.... I could not find your email on your profile.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a really good combination. Perfect for a weeknight and totally kid friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stopped by From NFFriday. This looks so Nummers. I just copied and pasted it and can't wait to make it this week. Off to check out all your other recipes. If you have an min. stop by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. We eat buffalo chicken all the time (usually sandwiches or chicken fingers). This sounds wonderful! I'm definitely trying it! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds so yummy! I used legs tonight and dipped them in buffalo sauce and then in breadcrumbs - everybody enjoyed them. Not as spicy as wings - but still with the flavor.

    Have a great week!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to try this! I'm always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Book marking this one, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now that looks yummy and just my kind of recipe. I think I would leave off the extra calories too....though, I love cornflake chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Debbi - this sounds unbelievable! I love buffalo wings, but do not like the mess. This looks easy too. Thanks for linking up!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete