Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Apricot Chicken in the Slow Cooker

So I threw the frozen chicken in the crock pot, planning to make chicken with a salsa sauce, only to find out that I didn't have any salsa. Are you kidding?! We always have salsa in the house! I couldn't believe it.

So I turned to Stephanie, the crock pot queen for help. I had a jar of low sugar apricot preserves in the cupboard so her Apricot Chicken saved the day.

I'm pretty sure I had made this before and liked it. I like a nice sweet, fruity sauce so I knew this would work well. It did, and it was a delicious dinner.

Thanks for dinner again, Stephanie!! :-)

Apricot Chicken
Adapted from A Year in Slow Cooking

Chicken, boneless breasts, 20 oz. (I had 4, 5 oz. breasts)
1 - 13oz. jar of apricot preserves, no sugar added
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. dijon mustard
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. red chili flakes

Drop chicken into crockpot. In a small bowl, mix all the other stuff. Pour on top of chicken, cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours on low, high for 4 - 6 hours. My chicken was frozen so I cooked mine on high for about 2 hours and then on low for about 6 hours or more.

Total calories = 1248 calories
4 chicken breasts = 312 calories per chicken breast

1 Apricot Chicken Breast + Broccoli = 372 calorie dinner

We didn't use all the sauce with this so the calorie count most likely came in lower. But I also had a Skinny Cow ice cream treat for 140 calories after!

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.


  1. This is magnificent. I love the apricot flavor and with chicken, it transforms the whole dish. Thanks for this one. I hope to make it soon.

  2. Great save, Debbi! I don't have a crockpot anymore, but imagine I could improvise in the oven with low heat.

  3. What a great recovery. My inventorying skills occasionally fail me and I find I'm without a needed ingredient I was sure I had. Hate when that happens. Anyone having your supper would be none the wiser. The chicken looks scrumptious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

  4. This looks tasty..and easy! I love Stephanie's recipes!

  5. I love Stephanie too. I visit her site at least once a week for inspiration if not a sure fire recipe. I keep meaning to try this recipe of hers, and the Brown Sugar Chicken, but I just don't know how I feel about having sweet things with meat. I'm more of a savory girl.

  6. i think my hubby would love this

  7. The apricot flavor is lovely! Yum!

  8. I love slow cooker recipes! This looks delicious!

  9. Mmm love Steph's site. The apricot with the chicken sounds delicious!

  10. I have an Apricot Chicken on my meal plan this week as well. Yum! My kids loved it! (We add Catalina Dressing to it....very yum!)