Sunday, May 16, 2010

Apple Cheddar Muffins



These were awesome muffins. I meant to take a picture of a muffin on a plate but we dug right in and before I knew it, they were gone and no picture on a plate.

I was tempted to try these with whole wheat flour. I was making them for the kids and was afraid they wouldn't like them as much so I wimped out and just used the regular flour. Next time.

The apple was really good in this, I think I would up it to an apple and 1/2 or make sure to use a very large apple next time. I got this recipe from Holy Cannoli Recipes but just subbed apple juice for the apple cider.

This is my submission to Just Something I Whipped Up Mondays from The Girl Creative.

This is also linked with Meatless Mondays from My Sweet and Savory.


Apple Cheddar Muffins
Adapted from Holy Cannoli Recipes

1 - 2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese + 2 tbsp. cheddar cheese
1 large apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup applesauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir together the flour, corn meal, baking powder, cheddar cheese, salt and sugar in a large bowl. In a small bowl, beat egg with fork. Stir in milk, juice, diced apple and apple sauce. Pour all at once in dry mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but no not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups. Sprinkle the top with 2 tbsp. cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. I got 17 muffins.

Total calories = 2180 calories
17 muffins = 128 calories per muffin

1 Apple Cheddar Muffin = 128 calorie snack

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers may be rounded or approximate.

19 comments:

  1. Debbi these sound great. I love the apple and cheese combination. Try to find some whole wheat pastry flour. The kids might like it better than regular whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to try this cheddar-apple combination. I've seen it everywhere! I agree with Bo that you might like to get some whole wheat pastry flour, but it's really expensive so I usually just go with white whole wheat flour by King Arthur. It tastes like white flour but it's got a higher protein level than ww pastry flour, unfortunately.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good, Debbi! I like the combo of ingredients, especially with the corn meal added. Plus the calorie count works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW nice muffins,never tried by adding cheese,will giv a try,thanx for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! This is something for me to try. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debi, these sounds so good. Glad I found your blog. I'm always looking for recipes and I love that you are making healthy, lower calorie dishes. I'm a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Super Cute :-) I adore handmade items. They're so original. I love homemade altogether!

    http://livingonhomemade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good!
    I second the King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour. I use that in everything...and my husband the super picky eater can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous combination. I can't wait to try it. I can just imagine the flavors blending to make a fab taste.

    Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the same exact recipe that I made once. The only difference is I used apple cider instead of the apple juice. I love these, I love the crunch from the cornmeal. I need to make them again. :o) Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look really, really good Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing. It's a great combo - cheddar and apple - and now it's in a muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great. I never thought to combine cheddar and apples in a muffin!

    I really enjoy reading your recipes. I have a Sunshine Award for you. Stop by and pick it up when you have a chance.

    http://norcalmom-lemonstolemonade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love apple and cheddar together! These look fantastic - and the calorie count is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally need to try these with whole wheat. My older son has banned white foods for himself so he would appreciate the whole wheat. These remind me of the cheddar biscuits at Red Lobster. Haven't been there in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These muffins look great! You could even try to do 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white, they probably wouldn't notice. Also Trader Joe's (if you have one by you) have White Whole Wheat Flour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This recipe looks great! I'm saving it for a breakfast or snack in the near future. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been featured on The Girl Creative. Go check it out!! :)

    http://thegirlcreative.blogspot.com/2010/05/shes-so-talented-saturday-shout-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. these look lovely! cant wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete