Thursday, May 20, 2010

Amish Cinnamon Friendship Bread


Many of us, if not most of us, probably have heard of the Amish Friendship bread. You know, the pile of goo in a baggie that sits endlessly on your counter until you are ready to mix it into bread?

I did this many, many years ago and had good result. We completed the cycle a few times, gained some weight and then moved on.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, another bag fell into my hands. I don't do a lot of breads so I was intrigued. Not to mention it of course ran through my head that this could have a great blog segment potential. Isn't it amazing once you become a food blogger you tend to see things as "how can I blog about this"?


Ok, back on track. So I played with the bag for the 10 days and then came baking day. Now, I've said before that I am NOT a baker and have had some disastrous results. So I tried to keep my expectations in check, realistically predicting that the first batch could turn out horribly and thus, end my cycle before it really even began.

Wrong.

This was unbelievably delicious. Words cannot express how good this was. Granted there was more sugar in this than I eat in a year but it was GOOOOOOOD! Seriously, the ingredients are like sugar, sugar, vanilla pudding, cinnamon and sugar. So how can it not be good!

Clearly I am not trying to sell this as a healthy bread. Actually, lets be honest, this isn't bread, it's cake. There is no redeeming quality in this bread but for the fact that it will make your mouth ginormously happy and temporarily help you to forget all your stresses and troubles as it is swimming deliciously in your mouth.

So go ahead and make it as therapy. :-)


So this required a starter to ferment for 10 days until ready to bake. My recipe that I received says that "only the Amish know how to create the secret starter". Well, apparently they have let the cat out of the bag shared it with the internet as there are many recipes for a starter. Like this.

So my starter came with a recipe for Cinnamon Bread. I knew there were other varieties. So I looked up on the internet and found about 150,000 tasty ideas for this bread. So, my plan is to bake several kinds and share the results with you. If you have any ideas, let me know, I'd love to hear them!

This is my submission to Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum. This is also linked with Flashback Friday from Kitchen Bouquet as these create quite the flashback from years ago. Also linked with Friday Favorites from Simple Sweet Home. Also I just found Vegetarian Foodie Fridays at Breastfeeding Moms Unite. Check them all out, they rock.

Not to forget, Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory!!




Amish Cinnamon Bread

About a cup of starter or more (after the 10 days)
3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 large box instant vanilla pudding

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Spray 2 large loaf pans with cooking spray (the Amish probably don't use cooking spray but I'm not Amish). Mix the topping and dust the pans with about 1/2 the mixture.

Combine all the bread ingredients and stir to combine. Pour batter evenly into the 2 pans and sprinkle with remaining sugar over the top. Bake for about 1 hour (one of my larger loafs took about 10 minutes longer). Cool until bread loosens from pan, about 10 minutes. Turn out onto serving dish and back away as the family stampedes to get at this bread.

**I'm not going to keep track of calories for this bread. I don't even want to THINK about how many calories are in this. I do plan on gifting one loaf every time. There are plenty of people who I know who would love a loaf or a half of a loaf. With 6 of us here plus daycare kids, the other loaf will get eaten hopefully without one person (me) consuming TOO many calories.



29 comments:

  1. I received a starter of this cinnamon bread too! It was delicious...I googled how to stop the vicious cycle so I didn't have to eat it every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I need for some stress relief. It looks some kind of fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I haven't made Friendship Bread in years! I need to make it again sometime soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a delicious bread... oh my. But, like you have said -- it's a real treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sugar,sugar vanilla pudding cinnamon and sugar..yum count me in

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen an Amish Friendship bread in quite some time. I just may need to start up my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy nummers. This is a beautiful recipe. It doesn't get much better than Friendship Bread. Would you consider coming over to my blog and linking this up at my Vegetarian Foodie Fridays linky at Breastfeeding Moms Unite? I'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I love Amish Friendship Bread and I haven't been given a starter in a long time. So thanks for sharing. Yours looks perfect and really delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello. I am your newest follower via Blog Hop Friday. I hope you will come see my blog. I am #9 Traci66 on Mr. Linky or http://traci66.blogspot.com
    I also have several giveaways going on they are on my right sidebar check 'em out. Happy Friday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made Friendship Bread, but this looks so delicious I need to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The way you have described this bread makes me want to go and find that starter recipe right now! But, it is 10pm in Australia and I am about to go to bed. I will definitely bookmark this post and try this recipe as soon as I can!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this recipe! I have been thinking of starting one with my friends. I am a baker, so it amazes me I have never started one of these.

    Also, I'm glad I found your blog. Aside from all the fattening cakes, I am usually looking for healthy and whole foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amish bread looks yummy!

    I’m following you now on Blog Hop Friday! Please follow me back on my blog “Inspire!”

    My latest inspirational postings are, “Pure Love,” “Peace of Mind,” “Simple Gesture,” “Smiles,” “Spring,” “A Feast,” “Love Lifts,” “Wake Up to Serve” and “Soul-itude.”

    http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the flashback to Amish bread! That stuff is so good its evil. :-) I have several bags in the freezer from my Amish bread stint a couple of years ago. I wonder if they are still good. I did an Amish Bread post a while back..check it out. Search "Amish" up in the search bar at the top. I made pancakes with mine!! Thanks for joining in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried to freeze the starter so I wouldn't have to make it all the time and I never got back around to trying it out. We moved and I had to put it in my MIL's freezer and there it still sits. I should try it when we get back to MN in a few weeks. Do you think it will work after being frozen for a yr?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm visiting from Blog Hop Friday. I love your recipes and just signed up to be your follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're gonna have to really take me under your wing to teach me how to cook..lol. But that looks AMAZING!

    I'm your newest follower from Blog Hop Friday!

    http://boobiesbabiesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks really good! MMMMM, I can just taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've gone through my own round and addiction to Amish Friendship bread. I've made it with chocolate chips, almonds and whatever worked. Oh, yum! I could go for some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious! I've made it before but didn't know the starter recipe was on the internet (another duh moment for me!) Thanks fro posting it so I can make this again!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love anything with cinnamon so I know I would really love this bread.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds great with all the cinnamon. I remember those days of Amish bread and watching the pounds add on with each bite. Yum! I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm a new follower and will definitely be checking out some of these recipes very soon!!

    http://totallindsanity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saying hi from NFF...I LOVE this cake! My friend gave me a starter last summer and I ate her entire cake plus my own! SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great recipes you have here on your blog Debbie :) I did one of these a few years ago and it was fabulous! A real treat when it's done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never made bread or cake with a starter, but my dad used to, and it was always very good. This looks yummy!

    Thanks for linking for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh, no. not the friendship bread. i've managed to forget about it for a year and now you go and make me lust and drool and gain weight just thinking about it. bad debbie! i do think this bread/cake is just about the best food item ever invented. better than filet minion, i think. i will not make it, i will not make it, i will not make it. good thing i'm stuffed right now from all my baking today (made banana muffins and cranberry bran muffins for our camping trips) or i would be so making this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for linking such a delicious recipe to My Meatless Mondays.

    This is one tempting recipe. I am not even tasting my own baking, these days, until I lose the weight, I am aiming to dump.

    Do I want to make this? I sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks for sharing delicious recipe

    ReplyDelete