Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zucchini, Peppers & Potato Bake





It was a cool day so I decided that leaving the oven on for a long time was okay. These are pretty quick to prep up but do take quite a while in the oven. Very tasty and can be made according to your own tastes. Add some cayenne pepper if you like it spicy.

I actually ran out of onions *gasp* so I just made it without. I thought I had another onion but alas, there was none to be found. It still rocked and we ended up eating practically the whole thing. As usual, I wish I had added more zucchini and less potato. Don't get me wrong, I love potatoes but the zucchini are SOOOOO low in calorie that I would rather fill up on those. This seriously an awesome meal though.

This is linked with Ingredient Spotlight: Potatoes at Eat at Home!  Check her out for more tasty potato recipes!





Zucchini, Peppers & Potato Bake

3 potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), cut into bite size pieces
1 zucchini (about 1 lb), quartered and cut into bite sized chunks
1 onion (I didn't use this but I usually do), chopped in large chunks
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1/3 cup bread crumbs (I used garlic and herb)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste


Toss together veggies in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss with bread crumbs. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Put on a baking sheet covered with cooking spray and cook in a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour or 1 1/4 hours. Stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender and lightly brown. You may need to adjust cooking time depending how done you want your veggies.

Total calories = 1170
6 servings = 195 calories


1 Orange Chipotle Rib + Zucchini, Peppers & Potato Bake = 595 calorie dinner





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded or approximate.

15 comments:

  1. This looks good to me! I don't think I've ever combined zucchini and potatoes and will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, and very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good. It is making me hungry, they would be good with an egg on top for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks totally delicious! I don't think I ever saw anything like it. I bet a little bit of spice would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dish. It looks simple and totally delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow I have these ingredients in my fridge...guess what I am going to make for tonight! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty! I wish the DH liked zucchini or squash of any kind other than that found in pumpkin pie. Sigh. He doesn't like sweet potatoes either. Know of any ways to sneak those veggies in?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds and looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I made the exact same thing tonite! seriously! i got the recipe at allrecipes.com the other day and finally got a chance to prepare it today. how funny! it was good but next time i'll put alot more garlic, my husband requested whole cloves. i made what looked like a ton but once the moisture cooks out, it really bakes down. i used yukon gold potatoes and cut them smaller than the zucchini so i wouldn't be stuck with firm potatoes at the end of baking. i put chipolte chili powder on it and had to toss on some garlic salt or seasoned salt because i'm so addicted to salt, but that's just me. i got the chipolte powder idea from you. seems like you use it alot. i finally found it in the store and LOVE it. i put some in my powdered mashed potatoes (costco) and WOW!
    anyway, totally crazy we made this the same time. except it was warm here....high 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Between this and that orange chipotle rib - what a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love potatoes, and I love finding new ways to cook them ... this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie- this looks awesome! I love the combo of the potatoes, peppers and zucchini! I so need to make this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is on my meal plan this week! Can't wait to try it!

    http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2010/11/weekly-meal-plan-55.html

    ReplyDelete