Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Whole Wheat Banana Muffins



I tend to get excited when we have overripe bananas. It doesn't happen often. We go through a lot of bananas here. A lot. Between my 3 kids, 3 adults and 6 daycare kids, we go through a ton of bananas.


You can see why having overripe bananas is such a rare occurance around here. Last week when I made the carrot banana bread, my dad had given me 2 older bananas to use. This time, I guarded my last 2 bananas until it was time to make the muffins.


I am glad I did because these were awesome! My kids loved them too. I love the oatmeal on top, it makes them look healthier. The kids of course, dug into the ones I sprinkled with chocolate chips. It made them seem more like cupcakes to them.






I loved how heathy these muffins are and at only 95 calories per muffin, they make a fantastic snack. Slightly more calories with the chocolate addition. This is 100% kid tested and they loved them and didn't know they were getting a healthy treat.


I'm going to have to hide some more bananas.

This is my submission to Tuesdays at the Table from All the Small Stuff.







Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Adapted from GreenLiteBites



2 1/2 cups (300 g) whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
2 large overripe bananas
1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt (I use lite n fit)
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
Topping: Either quick cooking oats or mini chocolate chips



Preheat the oven to 375. Mix the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Add the egg whites, yogurt, honey, molasses, applesauce and extract. Whisk until blended. Mix the sifted flour with the banana mixture until just moistened. Don't overmix. Spray muffin pans with cooking spray. Evenly distribute the batter in the muffin tin cups. Sprinkle with either the quick oats or mini chocolate chips. Bake for about 18 minutes. Makes 18 muffins.



Total calories = 1704
18 muffins = 95 calories per muffin (without topping)



2 muffins = 190 calorie snack





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers may be rounded or approximate.

8 comments:

  1. Your muffins look great! I've never baked using only whole wheat flour and must give this a try! I'm sure the bananas and apple sauce gives it nice moisture! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had bananas in the house. These muffins sound really good with a cup of coffee right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using whole wheat in muffins - these look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won the sunshine award!
    http://angieshealthylivingblog.blogspot.com/

    BTW love you muffin recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are incredible for 95 calories a muffin! I am so impressed. And that means I can eat two of these delicious beauties! {The green chile burger round-up is up.}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, terrific muffins! I like the sprinkling of chocolate chips on top, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I've been enjoying your blog lately. I have a question, though: did you measure the flour in this using volumetric measuring or weighing? I ask because you seem to have doubled Roni's recipe except for the "3 cups" thing (although you did double the grams). 3 cups of flour weighs 360 grams (is it sad that I know flour weights by heart? :P). I'm interested in making these. I have lots of overripe bananas laying dormant in my freezer. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mo - I did use 300 grams. I doubled the amount of grams that she used. I think I made a mistake when I wrote 3 cups, I will change that. Whenever a recipe calls for grams, I like to measure. Flour weight can change SO much just by how you put it in the measuring cup. Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete