Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sweet Potato, Potato Salad




Potato salad = summer. To me. I know it's not summer but it's feeling like it! I've been making potato salad for many years and usually make it about the same way. So when I read a recipe that was pretty much like mine but included sweet potatoes, I was delighted.

I usually add a bit of vinegar, sugar and maybe some spices to my dressing but I kept this simple. I did still change the recipe some to my taste.

The main thing I liked about this was that it made the salad so much prettier than regular potato salad. For that reason alone, I will always use sweet potatoes in my potato salad. They tasted great too!

I did overcook my potatoes so mine was a bit mushy. I tested them and they were perfect and then left briefly to go deal with a child and by the time I came back, they were mush. I tend to overcook things quite often. So especially the sweet potatoes did get mushy but it was still pretty and tasted fantastic.


I am linking this to Side Dish Showdown at Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice. She has awesome pictures. Go there now. :-)

This is also linked with Ultimate Recipe Swap from Life as Mom! Check out her summer recipes!

Also linked with On The Grill over at Our Homeschool Home!  She has awesome summer recipes too!





Sweet Potato, Potato Salad
Adapted from Allrecipes

3 regular potatoes, I used a bit less than 1 1/2 lbs.
1 sweet potato, I used a bit less than 1 lb.
3 hard boiled eggs
2 stalks of celery, finely diced
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup mayo or miracle whip, light (I used miracle whip, light)
1 tsp. mustard
Salt and pepper

Dice potatoes into very small chunks and boil until done but still slightly firm. Drain and cool potatoes in refrigerator. Chop eggs and add them, the celery and the onion to the potatoes. Whisk together the mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. Add to potato mixture, toss well to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Total calories = 1318
8 servings = 165 calories

Green Chile Pepper & Cream Cheese Burger + 1 serving Sweet Potato Salad = 536 calorie dinner.


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.



12 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I've never made potato salad with sweet potatoes so will have to try it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How clever, Debbi! I love potato salad too, would never have thought of adding a sweet potato. I makes such a difference in color, doesn't it?
    This is a definite "to-do" for my next potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweet potatoes do make it look nicer. I never thought of adding sweet potatoes to regular potato salad. I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this with the sweet potatoes! I bet it has really nice flavor and it's something different from the usual. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sending it to the Showdown Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to include sweet potatoes in my life wherever possible. This looks like a fantastic way to switch them in for regular potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMmmm I love sweet potatoes!
    Sorry I havent visited in a while but thank you for commenting today - beans are pretty much the best thing ever =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to combine potatoes and sweet potatoes in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome side dish.
    Great combination of flavours x

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous!! love sweet potatoes -- way to put them in a potato salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! Would love if you added this to our Thanksgiving Recipe Blog Hop and we are offering a prize to the recipe with the most votes! http://is.gd/4G4FKm

    ReplyDelete