Friday, April 30, 2010

Sloppy Joes


We grew up with just my dad. He didn't cook. He did good for having 3 kids but we did eat a lot of frozen TV dinners, pot pies and hamburger helper. A lot.

One of the homemade meals we ate were sloppy joes. I remember it just being ground beef, tomato soup and maybe some mustard or a dash of bbq sauce. They couldn't have been that bad because we did eat them often.

These are way better.

I have since made sloppy joes many different ways. This recipe is one of my favorites. So is this recipe. I usually use ground turkey but I bought a 3 lb. ground beef chunk on sale and used that instead.

This recipe makes a lot so I ate it for lunches for a couple of days. So not an issue since they were fantastic.

This is my submission to Foodie Friday from Designs by Gollum and Friday Favorites from Simply Sweet Home.

This is also linked with What's on the Menu Wednesday over at Dining with Debbie.  Also at No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table.




Sloppy Joes
Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

3 lbs. ground chuck, 80% (or sub ground turkey)
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced (you can use any color)
5 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed

1 1/2 cups ketchup
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Add ground beef (or turkey) to large pan and cook until brown. Drain fat. Add onions, peppers and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until veggies start to get soft. Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato paste, worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I made these pretty mild but go ahead and add some more seasonings and spice if you want!

Total calories with lean ground turkey = 2695 calories

I didn't count how many portions were in this. I will next time I make them. I am guessing this made about 15 sandwiches for about 179 calories + a 100 calorie Arnold Selects Sandwich Thin = about 279 calories. I often estimate these sort of sandwiches at about 300 calories a piece, if they are packed with veggies they often come in at less.

17 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm always looking for good recipes for sloppy joes and I like the sound of this one. I'm just wondering, is it very sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good sloppy joe. I make mine with ketchup also but love the sound of the additional ingredients. What a great American staple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am guilty of using manwich. I think the only time I do not use the canned stuff is when I make vegetarian sloppy joes. I will have to try your recipe the next time I plan to make sloppy joes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just can't beat a sloppy joe when you've got kids. I made a ton of them! And I always had ketchup in them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love homemade sloppy joes - yours look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will remember this one! It looks great (really!) and pretty common ingredients! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandson's adore sloppy joes and I am, of course, delighted to oblige them. This is a great recipe that I plan to try the next time they visit. Funny how kids like messy food :-). I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love those sandwich thins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is always a favorite at our house. It travels well for tailgate parties and summer picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was over on Deb's blog and saw "sloppy joes" and had to come check them out. I've copied the recipe. We haven't had one is many a moon. Aren't those slim sandwich breads great? I don't feel nearly as guilty when using them.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here from FF. These look great. As I was looking at the pictures and I actually said YUM and I just ate!!!!! We don't eat red meat so I will try this with TVP or Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely ate sloppy joes quite a bit as a kid as well. My favorite recipe is one with buffalo sauce from Rachel Ray (you can find it on the food network website). It's super (if you like buffalo sauce!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These SJ's look fantastic!!!

    Am also here to tell u something interesting!!!
    SUper giveaway at this link...psst psst, am sure u love LE CREUSET ,dont ya?
    Well its jus one of the goodies u can chose:-))))

    http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-1st-sunshine-giveaway-thanxxx-aton.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious! I never liked sloppy joes growing up because my mom used Manwich sauce, which I always thought was way too sweet - here is my recipe though, although I do like yours!

    http://biz319.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/sloppy-joes-ala-biz/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sloppy Joes are my husband's favorite. Looks yummy! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love sloppy joes! It's like a go-to comfort food. Glad to see you put brown sugar in yours too : )) Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made this last night and we loved it! I used ground turkey and served it with whole wheat buns, this recipe is definitely another keeper!

    ReplyDelete