Thursday, April 1, 2010

Red Hot Sweet Potatoes

This was sort of an experiment. A very sweet, sugary, high calorie experiment.

My love for sweet potatoes sent me in search for recipes. I don't know where I picked this one up, I just found a scrap of paper with this written down in amongst the vast amount of papers and recipes on my desk.

I really need to get organized. Oh wait, that's why I have a blog.

So I'm looking at this recipe and the directions were a bit vague. Do I mash the potatoes or keep them in chunks? Do I REALLY add as much sugar as they wanted me to? Am I really going to eat candy coated sweet potatoes with marshmallows for dinner?

I decided just to go for it and roughly kept the proportions as the recipe called for. Except for the marshmallows. I drew the line at putting marshmallows on top. I did cut the sugar too as I suspected it wasn't needed. So I just mixed it all together and dotted the butter on it.

It was delicious. Very sweet but delicious. I did enjoy mixing my ham with the red hot cinnamon glaze. I even took a picture of a bit of the glaze drizzled on the ham but it looked gross, like blood so I spared you all that visual.

While I did enjoy the flavor, I do think I would do it differently next time. We didn't use half of the glaze as most of it just ended up on the bottom. I would use a lot less of the candy and nix the sugar. Really, candy AND sugar?? Just not necessary. I think I would like them mashed next time also. So basically just mashed sweet potatoes with the small flavoring of the red hots. It really was a good flavor so I do recommend trying it.

Red Hot Sweet Potatoes

2 lbs. sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. brown sugar Splenda blend 
3/4 cup cinnamon red hot candies (I used Brach's Cinnamon Imperials)
1/2 cup water

Cook sweet potato chunks with water for about 10 - 15 minutes. Mix red hots, water and brown sugar Splenda. Put sweet potato chunks in a 9 x 13 in. pan. Pour red hot mixture evenly over sweet potatoes. Dot with butter. Cook uncovered for about 1 hour at 350 or until red hots are dissolved.

Total calories = 1130 calories with just about 1/2 the sauce
6 servings = 188 calories

6 oz. ham + 2 servings Red Hot Sweet Potatoes + cantaloupe = 709 calorie dinner

I totally could have made this a 500 calorie dinner but I ate way too many of the sweet potatoes. They really were good!

Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


  1. This does sound really delicious. I think you improved the recipe with the changes you made!

  2. Wow, what an interesting sweet potato dish. I like it! Thanks for sharing and the advice on how you would revise the recipe.