Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jambalaya Chicken & Sausage Casserole





I almost didn't get a picture of this because it went so fast. I started eating mine and I realized I hadn't taken a picture and thought I'd just wait and take a picture of the leftovers. I soon realized that everyone else was continuing to heap their plates and I'd better snap the photo soon. So as my husband was about to sit down to his second plate of food, I snatched the plate and took the picture.

I never even got chance at seconds. Everyone else did.

Seriously, this was good.

It is more high calorie than I usually go for but it could be toned down. I could have bought a turkey sausage or a low fat sausage but that might not have been as tasty. This stuff rocked.

I based it on a recipe that I made many, many years ago. I just changed up the amounts and spices this time and it seemed to work well.


This is linked to:

 Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.
Recipe of the Week: Casseroles at Family Fresh Meals







Jambalaya Casserole

1 lb. chicken breast, cut up into bite size pieces
16 oz. smoked sausage, sliced, I used Hillshire Farm
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup water
2 cups brown minute rice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning

Cook chicken in pan with cooking spray and salt and pepper until lightly browned. Add sausage, pepper, garlic, onion, celery. Cook until veggies are just tender, about 5-8 minutes. Mix in tomatoes and water, bring to a boil. Stir in rice, salt, Cajun seasoning and tabasco sauce. Cover and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes until rice is tender and most of the liquid has absorbed. If there is too much liquid, just leave the cover off for the last 5 minutes of cooking.



Total calories = 2877 calories

5 servings = 575 calories per serving



1 serving Jambalaya Casserole = 575 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.


8 comments:

  1. It looks delicious! Love Jambalaya and this is great with the calorie count! I will try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Jambalaya and yours looks great! Thanks for the calorie count. Hope to try soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your casserole sounds wonderful. I love how you've been able to pare away the calories and still leave a dish with appeal and flavor. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hearty and flavorful dish - it looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great recipe, Debbi! And the calorie count is not high, either. We love jambalaya!

    (cassis is a blackcurrent liqueur)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look good! I'm glad you got a chance to take a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I'm stopping by from Tasty Tuesday. This looks delicious!

    Also, you & I have the same dishes....small world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks awesome and EASY! Low cal too :) Perfect!

    ReplyDelete