Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ham and Swiss Chicken in the Slow Cooker




Not a beautiful meal by any means but very good and hearty. I usually make this when I have leftover ham chunks in the freezer. I often have cooked, shredded chicken on hand so this comes together fairly quickly.

This makes a lot, I had plenty of leftovers for the next couple of days. It still doesn't look pretty reheated but it tasted excellent!

This is my submission to Crock Pot Wednesdays hosted by Dining With Debbie and Tasty Tuesday hosted by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.





Ham & Swiss Chicken

1/2 cup egg beaters
2 cups milk, 1%, divided
1/4 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, melted
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
10 slices bread, cubed (I used Wonder Whole Wheat 55 calorie bread)
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper
1 lb. chunks of ham (I used leftover from a whole ham)
1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese, 8 oz.
2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (I used about 10 oz)
1 can cream of chicken soup, healthy request

In a large bowl, stir the egg beaters and 1 1/2 cups of milk. Add butter, celery, onion and spices to taste. Stir in the bread crumbs. Place half the mixture in a crock pot sprayed with cooking spray, top with half of the ham, cheese and chicken. Combine soup and remaining 1/2 cup of milk, stir until combined. Pour half over the chicken, repeat layers once. Cover and cook for 5 - 6 hours on low.

Total calories = 3421 calories
8 servings = 428 calories per serving

Ham & Swiss Chicken + broccoli = 468 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers may be rounded or approximate.



9 comments:

  1. Some of the best tasting dishes don't look pretty! That's why we serve them with pretty side dishes...hehe! Beautiful looking broccoli you have there :D

    It sounds like a really good meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting dish...ham and chicken in a crock pot...sure it is easy and tasty...the look of it is not that bad...from the ingredients in it, must taste delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds pretty good to me and love the calorie count for all of that. Very tasty, I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favorite meals aren't very pretty. This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that often times the unattractive food can taste the best. I'm also learning that photographing food is hard. It doesn't smile. Or wave. Or cock its head cutely to the side. Sigh. I think you did great with what you were given, Debbi. I'll take some for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this kind of meal. It sounds delicious, Debbi. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at swiss cheese! I have lots of dishes (especially spaghetti squash!) that look like ass, but taste divine - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks are not everything, especially when it comes to slow cooker meals. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds very delicious! It has all my favorite ingredients. I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete