Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Green Chile Pepper & Cream Cheese Burger


My kids love tongue twisters. Especially since we started learning about alliteration they have been going crazy with it. Reeni has started a blogger burger club. Unbeknownst to her, my kids have renamed it the:

Build a bountiful, bedazzling, beautiful blogger burger club.

It changes often. It might be longer by now.

So the awesome idea is for her to create a mouthwatering, delightful burger that she would like us to make, rate and give our opinion about it. This is nice because it's awesome to see your creation or idea on other blogs. It's also nice to be able to see if it is a user friendly type meal or if you are just the only one who likes it and we all think your crazy. I have come up with some meals in the past that I am quite sure the mass populous would not find approving at all.

This is a fantastic recipe on so many levels. I know it's just a burger but really, it's awesome.

I know many people put mayo on burgers. I'm telling you, skip the mayo and just use cream cheese. Seriously it tastes so much better and it creates a similar texture.

I for one, love fried onions on my burgers. But to add a can of green chiles really just puts it over the top. She says chilis or jalapenos but I am a much bigger fan of chiles. The green chilies add a fantastic flavor without making it too spicy. Between the bread, burger and cream cheese, you won't find it overly spicy, just flavorful.

Also, it's really simple!!! The topping just takes a few minutes to prepare and your done!

I used an Arnold Selects sandwich thin tonight on my burger but I often just eat it plain with out a bun and this would completely still work for that. I would just spread a bit of cream cheese on the burger and dump a bunch of the chili onion mixture over it.

I did lighten it up a bit and use cooking spray instead of oil and light cream cheese, and I used less cream cheese than she. Although I'm sure the more the better as it was wonderful!

She asked us to rate it. I would give it the highest rating at a 4. I make burgers often summer or winter and I will for sure make this topping again. Her pictures are way more phenomenal than mine so make sure to check out her site!



Green Chile Pepper & Cream Cheese Burger
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

1/2 of a large onion, diced
1 - 4 oz. can of green chiles
Salt and pepper
4 - 4 oz. burgers (recipe I used below)
4 - 100 calorie Arnold Selects Sandwich Thins
4 oz. cream cheese, light

Saute onion in a small skillet with some cooking spray until softened. (I over cooked mine a bit but that's how I like them on burgers). Add chiles, season with salt and pepper, saute for about 5 minutes.

Cook burgers.

Put 1 oz. cream cheese on each bun and divide the chile pepper onion mixture among the burgers.


Turkey Burgers (this is the basic go-to recipe for us)

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup mix
1/2 cup salsa

Mix everything and form into 6 patties. Mix in a bit of water if you need more moisture.

Total calories for 4 of these burgers with the green chile pepper and cream cheese topping = 1482 calories

4 burgers with topping = 371 calories each



1 Green Chili Pepper & Cream Cheese Burger + 1 cup Sweet Potato Salad = 536 calorie dinner

This is my submission to BSI: Cream Cheese hosted this week by Veronica at Recipe Rhapsody.

Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.

10 comments:

  1. That's so cute - about your kids. It sounds like you all really loved them. The sweet potato salad sounds so yummy too! Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - what a flavorful burger. I love green chiles and I also love those sandwich thins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great with the kids! I love the idea of adding cream cheese! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your burgers look and sound wonderful. Your kids sound like they are a lot of fun. I hope all of you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are quite a few recipes I have made that I thought "would anyone else even eat this?" However this burger is surely not one of them. I will have to take your advise and try cream cheese on my next burger. I am sure I will get odd looks for it but then again I do weird parings with my food anyways so people will just think it is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reads delicious. I love chili in hamburgers.
    Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you liked the green chili pepper and cream cheese burgers. That definitely looks like a burger my family would enjoy too. The addition of cream cheese, is really a nice twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought those were tortillas at first. I like the idea of using the sandwich thins...will have to try that. I loved this burger and can't wait to see what Reeni has in store for us next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your kids! They are so cute and I love their entertaining antics. Wow, this burger does sound amazing! My hubby is wanting to start grilling soon--this will be one of the first things we try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally got around to making these, Debbi. Thank so much for sharing the recipe--it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete