Sunday, April 25, 2010

Garlic, Tomato Cheesy Zucchini



Garlic is a popular thing in this household. It pretty much goes in anything. Except ice cream. We have a whole bunch of heads of garlic, 2 huge jars of minced garlic in the frig, (2 jars?), garlic powder, garlic salt, garlic pepper and fresh grated garlic salt. We even bought garlic Jelly Belly jelly beans once in Wisconsin at the Jelly Belly factory. They weren't good, don't try them.

So with a couple of needing-to-be-used zucchini in the frig and loads upon loads of garlic on hand, this seemed the perfect side dish for tonights meal.


These are seriously garlicky. While incredibly delicious, this is not a good date night meal. That would be a mistake. I would have liked to use parmesan cheese but we only had mozzerella cheese so that worked to get in my cheese fix for the evening.








Garlic, Tomato Cheesy Zucchini

2 medium zucchini, cut into slices
4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
1/2 large tomato
2 oz. mozzerella cheese (or parmesan)
Salt and pepper

Saute zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper for about 4 minutes until just tender. Add tomato and stir. Turn heat to low and sprinkle with shredded cheese and cover until melted. Serve immediately.

Total calories = 312 calories
4 servings = 78 calories per serving

1 Spicy Turkey Burger + 100 calorie Arnold Selects Sandwich Thin + salsa sour cream + 1/4 cup baked beans + Garlic, Tomato Cheesy Zucchini = 478 calorie dinner


Calories are calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.



9 comments:

  1. I actually never liked zucchini until about 10 years ago - now I freak out if I don't have any on hand!

    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like garlic alot at my house too! Your zucchini looks and sounds delicious. I will try it like this when we get the first ones in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is never too much garlic in my life either. Except, I guess on date night...not that that comes around all too often. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me agreeing with you on the garlic until you got to the garlic jelly beans part. The zucchini looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love zucchini - this recipe looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lover your concept here, 500-calorie meals. Takes some doing, good for you, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big garlic lover too! And I really love this! A delicious use for zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this sounds great Debbie! Pretty similar to mine only the calorie count is much lower here, which is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zucchini, mozzerella and tomato is a fantastic combination~! I make a dish very similar except I used canned, stewed tomatoes and bake the zucchini and also yellow squash, covered in stewed tomatoes, onion and mozzerella in the oven.

    This had to be delicious! And healthy, too. Great job. =)

    ReplyDelete