Friday, April 9, 2010

Chipotle BBQ Pulled Chicken with Spicy Cilantro Cole Slaw



I've never really been a huge barbeque sauce fan. When everyone else was dipping their chicken nuggets in BBQ sauce, I'd go for the sweet and sour. There are certain store bought brands that I do accept better than others though. I am liking the homemade versions of BBQ sauce much better. The tomato sauce is low in calories and I can add whatever spice, sweetness, or flavoring I choose.

I've been loving my chipotle sauce lately. It really has an awesome flavor. This was a new blend of sauce for me. I make one that has a ketchup base, a blueberry bbq sauce and this one is tomato sauce. So it's different and definitely took some tweaking as I was going. It's good though and of course the chipotle sauce is the shining star in my opinion.

My recipe below calls for both chipotle chili powder and adobo sauce. This is because I didn't have the can of chipotles in adobo sauce like I thought until my daughter scoured the cupboards and at last, found one. Yea!!! So after the meat had been in the slow cooker for a long time, I added a bit of the adobo sauce. I would use a chopped up chipotle and some adobo sauce instead of the powder. Next time.




I also adore coleslaw on my pulled chicken. I knew I wanted to use chipotle adobo sauce in a coleslaw and it turned out fantastic. Thank goodness the daughter had found the can of it by the time I got to it!

This was spicy. Really. Using one whole chipotle plus sauce may have been a bit too much. (but I would do it again). I'm not a spicy girl but I enjoyed this. Rather than the coleslaw cooling the flavor of the meat, it proved just the opposite and revved it up quite a bit.

I loved the results.

If I was planning to eat the coleslaw by itself, without the meat and bun, I would tone the spice down. It was a fantastic flavor, the lime shined thought, the cilantro sung to me. Can you tell that I liked this meal??
This is linked to Food on Fridays and Foodie Friday and Crock Pot Wednesday.




Chipotle BBQ Pulled Chicken

3 lbs. chicken
1 - 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chiles
5 tbsp. cider vinegar
3 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tbsp. paprika
1/2 small can tomato paste
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. ground chipotle chile powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. adobo sauce

Put chicken in the crock pot. Add the chopped onions. Stir the sauce ingredients in a bowl and add to crockpot. Cover and cook on ow until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 - 6 hours. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.

Total calories = 1940 calories

Spicy Cilantro Coleslaw

5 cups shredded cabbage mix
3 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 cup mayo, light
1/4 cup sour cream, light
2 tbsp. honey
1 chopped chipotle pepper and a 1 tsp. of adobo sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
4 or 5 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Make the dressing by combining the lime juice, mayo, sour cream, honey, salt, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Taste and add spice as desired.

Total calories = 460 calories

I didn't measure how many servings this made. I froze half of the chicken for another meal and the coleslaw we ate most of it during one meal.

I estimate each sandwich or tortilla to be a about 300 calories, probably a bit less if you keep the portions pretty reasonable.


We used both 100 calorie Arnold Sandwich Thin Selects and 100 calorie Whole Wheat Tortillas for these. I had one of each.




Calories calculated by calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.


13 comments:

  1. I love bbq pulled chicken sandwiches. The spicy coleslaw sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks great. I like the sauce for the pulled chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Debbi,
    Can you come over for dinner and bring this pleeeeze??!!
    Sparkly Hugs,
    Tobi and the Pixies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I landed @ ur blog coz i found ur captions at Marx Foods so hilarious...am still giggly babes :-)))
    ur blog is filled with deliciousness galore :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of chipotles and adobo sauce. You need to pull-up a chair and join us at the table, don't forget to bring some of your homemade bbq sauce with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped eating storebought BBQ sauce after I saw high fructose corn syrup in the ingredient list. none of that for me! Now I make my own too and and it is AWESOME. These sandwiches looks super delicious. Pulled chicken - awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really good--I like your explanations, too, to help me decide how much or little to spice it. I've never tried making chipotle sauce before, so this would be an experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good Debbi. I love your recipes, and your space here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am putting this on my menu this week! It looks and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredibly delicious! I can't wait to get my new crock-pot so I can make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good - especially the coleslaw. Definitely going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow those both look great! i never had slaw ON my burgers until i lived in NC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe looks/sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it! I have some chicken in the freezer and I think I have most of the ingredients in the pantry....I'll have to check and make a shopping list! I'll be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete