Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chilaquiles Casserole


Isn't it amazing that you can take the same ingredients, mix them around in different ways and yet, they still taste unique and special? I swear I have 11 billion recipes that ask for black beans, corn, onion, tortillas and sauce. Yet, they do taste different and I love them all.


I like this for when I have nothing planned and I don't have any thawed meat. I always have beans on hand. Always. It comes together pretty quickly without a lot of fuss. A nice quality in a meal.







This is one that I have made before and change the amount of spices everytime. I do need to make a note, I always say to myself when I eat this that I should add another zucchini but I never make a note of it so I forget. Haha! So here it is on the official blog.


Add another zucchini.


It is just nice to pump up the veggies and zucchini is practically a freebee when it comes to calories that you might as well. I meant to add some green onions or cilantro to it but forgot as well. It is pretty tasty just the way it is so it doesn't need anymore.





Chilaquiles Casserole
Adapted from EatingWell magazine

1 onion, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 - 15 oz. can corn
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
8 - 8 in. 100 calorie tortillas, cut into 6ths
1 - 15 oz. can red or green enchilada sauce
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 6 oz.

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 in. baking dish with cooking spray. Heat a large pan with cooking spray, add onion and cook until starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in zucchini, beans, tomatoes, corn, cumin and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are heated through, about 3 minutes. Scatter half the tortilla pieces in the baking dish. Top with about half the vegetable mixture, about half the enchilada sauce and half the cheese. Repeat with one more layer of tortillas, vegetables, sauce and cheese. Cover with foil, bake casserole for about 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until casserole is bubbling around the edges and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more.

Total calories = 2508 calories
6 servings = 314 calories per serving

1 1/2 servings of Chilaquiles Casserole = 471 calorie dinner


Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.



7 comments:

  1. This looks wonderfully colorful and I'll wager it is as tasty as it is beautiful. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic combination of ingredients - it looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of an enchilada bake minus the zucchini. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some of my favorite ingredients too! I love this! It's a great comfort meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the first time one of my friends ordered chilaquiles in a restaurant it was a completely monocolored plate. This is far from that! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just showed this to my kids (3 and 5) and they are currently jumping around the kitchen going "Yum yum yum yum yum!" We love this kind of food and I know what you mean about having so many different ways to use these basic ingredients. Thanks for posting - I'm pretty sure we'll be making this this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally! A cassarole I didn't destroy due to my ineptness in the kitchen.. (it's almost done baking, i can't wait to eat some)

    ReplyDelete