Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cheese Ravioli with Onion Butter Sauce





This isn't exactly low calorie. I apologize.

But it was good. So gooooooooooood.

I tried to help the calories by not putting extra parmesan on it and using light butter. But really, how can cheese filled ravioli smothered in butter sauce be low calorie? Unless you eat an incredibly small portion of it.

I don't have that much control.

I ate so much of this. Seriously. I smelled of onion and garlic all night. But enjoyed. Every. Minute. Of. It!

I also loaded up with much more of the onions after I took the picture, the onion sauce just rocked.

I really can't say enough good things about this recipe. Go make it. Now. Then go to the gym. For a long time. :-)

This is my submission to
Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Thyme for Cooking.

I am also linking this to Cooking Thursday from Diary of a Stay at Home Mom and also Ultimate Recipe Swap from Life as Mom & Meatless Monday's at My Sweet & Savory. Great blogs, check them out!


Cheese Ravioli with Onion Butter Sauce

2 lbs. fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
2 tbsp. olive oil
6 tbsp. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, light
5 medium sweet onions, about 2 lbs, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
6 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
Optional: Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Additional parsley and italian seasoning for garnish

Cook the ravioli according to package directions, don't overcook. Heat a large pan, add olive oil and butter. Add the onion and toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and saute, tossing occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and nicely browned, about 20 - 30 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Add the parsley and marjoram, add the drained ravioli and a little bit of the cooking water to the sauce if it needs more moisture. Toss gently and cook for about 1 minute. Sprinkle with cheese if desired and garnished.

Total calories = 2807 calories
6 servings = 467 calories




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.

16 comments:

  1. I love ravioli but I hardly make ever make it. The next time I make ravioli I will try your onion butter sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn, it looks so good and I was excited thinking you had a low cal dish! :) Sometimes you just have to splurge a little or go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look awfully good :-). I'm claiming privledge under the 5 second rule of dieting. Once and a while won't hurt. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - it looks rich, decadent and so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just died and went to comfort Heaven looking at this. And that's one of the simplest ingredient lists I've seen in the blog world in awhile. Hmm... I wonder if it'd work with other pastas...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love, love ravioli and have to try this! Buttery, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Onion Butter Sauce? Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at cheese ravioli, but I am going to have to pass on the onion sauce! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, now that is my kind of dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! This looks great.

    Thank you for asking if the organic wine is more expensive. I will add my answer to the post as well. I would say it is and it isn;t depending on what you like to personally pay. The one I bought was about 19 bucks which is about 4 bucks more than I like to spend... but that doesn't break the bank for me! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds incredibly delicious! I make pierogies in a similar way. A little treat like this every now and then is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ravioli is totally a guilty pleasure of mine. Totally worth an extra trip to the gym. Especially with that delicious sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't have to apologize as long as it is GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is yummy delicious or what I would have said when my kids were little. I love ravioli and I adore onion butter sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks good!! Something I'll be adding to my list of things to try!

    http://yummyanonymous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe is one of our highlights of the year at My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete