Thursday, April 22, 2010

Carrot Banana Bread


This is my second time making this bread. The first time I used a loaf pan and it just didn't cook right in the middle. We did end up eating it and it was delicious so I wanted to try it again.


This time I cooked it in an 8 x 8 in. pan and it worked much better. It still came out pretty moist but it was done which was good enough for me.


I do think that if you used different ingredients, it won't be quite so moist. I got this from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice and she says to use either Greek yogurt or regular sour cream. I used light sour cream which is much goopier. I have a feeling using the greek yogurt would have been better. NOT that this was bad. It was super duper delicious, just a bit wet inside.

This is linked with Ingredient Spotlight: Bananas at Eat at Home
Carrot Banana Bread
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

3/4 cup sour cream, light
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup egg beaters
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1 1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or any kind of nuts)
2 tbsp. sunflower seeds for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a bread pan. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another large bowl, whisk the sour cream and honey together, add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Alternate the flour mixture and the banana and mix them with the wet ingredient mixture, ending with the flour. Add carrot, raisins and sunflower seeds (nuts). Pour into a greased 8 x 8 in. glass pan. Sprinkle sunflower seeds over the top. Bake 60 - 70 minutes at 350. Cool for 15 - 20 minutes.


Total calories = 2833 calories
16 servings = 177 calories per serving


1 piece of Carrot Banana Bread = 177 calorie breakfast or snack



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com. Some numbers are rounded and approximate.



6 comments:

  1. I would much prefer a moist bread than a dry one. I love the way it looks with the sunflower seeds on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really delicious! It would be perfect for breakfast. I always like your recipes with all the calorie counts! I'm wondering how a little Splenda would work in replacing some of the honey. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I wonder why it's not fitting in a loaf pan for you. I kind of like the idea of the square pan. I think I'll be making it again this weekend to see if I wrote down the wrong amounts of flour or something. I do like my breads very moist. You could probably leave out some of the sour cream if you prefer a dryer bread. Thanks for making it - twice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine how moist and flavorful this must be. It looks delicious and while I've never tried the combination I'll wager the carrots and bananas are great together. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have such healthy recipes. That looks great but I admit to wanting to slather cream cheese frosting over the whole thing. My name is Tiffany and I have a problem with my sweet tooth...

    ReplyDelete