Friday, April 2, 2010

Asian Coleslaw




I think I've mentioned before that I buy things at Sam's Club and then have to find creative ways to use up stuff. That happens with shredded cabbage. I love BBQ chicken sandwiches with coleslaw, so when I'm at Sam's, I buy the huge bag. Though I don't need the ginormous bag, I buy it anyways because it is cheaper than the small bag I can get at the grocery store. This happens with a lot of items.

So I've had this recipe sitting here for awhile but I don't know where I got it. I really need to start writing down where I get things to give credit where credit is due. It looks similar to a recipe from Simply Recipes but I don't think I got it here. She uses way more oil than I did BUT she gave me the idea to use cilantro. I might try that next time.

I loved, loved, loved this salad. The tasty tang from the vinegar was perfect. I used as little oil as possible and it really was fine. I also left out the peanuts. I didn't have any and I used chunky peanut butter. Sure, peanuts are good but they are so many calories and this was zippy and delicious the way it was.

So the moral of the long winded annoying story is I found a very delightful, scrumptious way to use a portion of the mass amounts of shredded cabbage sitting in my frig. I've made the BBQ chicken sandwiches and now the Asian Coleslaw. Any more ideas???






Asian Coleslaw

1 tbsp. chunky peanut butter
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
4 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp.sugar
4 cups shredded cabbage
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup grated carrots

Place peanut butter in medium bowl. Add oils and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the season rice vinegar vinegar and sugar and taste. Add sugar or salt depending on taste. In a large bowl, toss the shredded cabbage, carrots and onions together and add dressing right before serving.

Total calories = 432 calories
4 servings = 108 calories per serving

Thai Peanut Pork + Broccoli + Asian Coleslaw = 503 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.




12 comments:

  1. I make a fish taco with a chipotle mayo coleslaw. It's posted on my blog, I think. If not, let me know and I will send you the recipe. You can watch past episodes of Food Revolution here: http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution The commercial interruption is annoying, especially in the first show. The show airs each Friday evening on ABC. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great with the peanut butter! It looks so colorful and a great thing for Spring! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to not love coleslaw. But the peanut butter in this? Makes me know I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tasty slaw - love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your slaw recipe is wonderful. You can also use the bagged slaw in a stir-fry or in a casserole along with pork chops. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great link for Two for Tuesdays. I love Asian Slaw - yours seems so simple and delicious. The addition of PB is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How unusual! Sounds like something I have to try =) Thanks for sharing w/ Two for Tuesdays, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of traditonal coleslaw, especially if it's got marshmallows in it. Shudder! But I do love to have cabbage dressed up just about any other way. I love the sesame oil in this recipe. Thank you for linking up at T4T!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cabbage, but for some reason have never been able to get into cold slaw. I usually prefer my cabbage cooked - often in soups. This slaw looks super tasty though. Thanks for joining us for Two for Tuesdays again, Debbi :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that the slaw has peanut butter! Sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey debs! why not try this recipe with stevia instead of splenda so it will be even more super healthy! I adore asian slaw because of the combo of sweet and sour! Thanks so much for posting this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! Keep it real! Alex@amoderatelife.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore coleslaw and asian flavors and peanut butter in things, so thanks for this combo!

    ReplyDelete