Monday, March 15, 2010

Vegetarian Meaty Chili



The Case of the Incredible Glowing Corn Muffin!!


My kids read a lot of mystery books. It's a mystery to me why the picture of the corn muffin above appears to be glowing. Trust not my photography skills.


This is pretty much your run of the mill chili but one that my vegetarian friends can enjoy as well.


I like my chili pretty thick so feel free to add tomato sauce or broth to thin it, if that floats your boat. My motto is: The More Veggies, the Better! Nice and chunky! Then crush up the corn bread to soak up whatever juice is left to make it even MORE thick. It's my chili and I'll make it how I want. :-)


I also forgot to count how many cups were in a serving of this chili, it was so tasty, we just dug right in without giving a thought to the stats. I estimate there to be at least 10 cups, probably more as this lasted throughout the weekend for many snacks and lunches.







Vegetarian Meaty Chili

Cooking spray
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery
1 green or red pepper, chopped (I had red)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 cloves of garlic
2 cans (4 oz) chopped chile peppers
2 (12 oz) pkg vegetarian burger crumbles
5 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. cumin
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tbsp. black pepper

Cook onion in pan with cooking spray. Cook for about 4 -5 minutes, then mix in celery, peppers, and garlic. Cook for about 4 - 5 minutes until tender. Put burger crumbles in large crock pot. Add onion mixture. Add tomatoes, drained beans and spices and mix thoroughly. Cook on low for about 5 - 6 hours or until ready to eat.

Total calories = 2392
10 servings = 239 calories

1 1/2 servings chili + 1 cheesy cornbread muffins = 456 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


1 comment:

  1. Whoa this looks super hearty! I'm impressed by its heftiness. And intense flavor!

    ReplyDelete