Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Turkey Noodle Soup


My kids love soup. Well, two of them do. Especially chicken noodle. It's classic. So whenever I make a chicken or turkey, I always use the remains for soup.

Mine aren't big broth fans so I made mine pretty thick, feel free to add more water and bouillion to taste.

I leave mine in the slow cooker overnight and the next morning I go fishing for all the bones. Then I am left with a delicious broth with nice chunks of turkey or chicken.





I add the veggies and spices and let it sit for the remainder of the day. I make mine pretty simple with just carrots, celery and onion but you could certainly add spinach, potatoes, broccoli or whatever other veggies you want.

Then add the noodles a bit before dinner and you're good to go.





Turkey Noodle Soup

1 leftover cooked turkey carcass
6 cups water
1 tbsp. chicken bouillion
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 cups dry noodles, I used rotini

Put turkey remains in crock pot with water and cook on low overnight. The next morning, turn off crockpot and cool until it's easier to handle. Pull out as many turkey bones as possible using either a sifter or your fingers. Save juice and turkey for soup. Add chicken bouilion, carrots, onion, celery and poultry seasoning and cook for the rest of the day on low heat. About 6 - 8 hours. About 1/2 - 1 hour before serving, add 2 cups noodles to crock pot and serve.

I don't know how many calories are in this but it is quite healthy and makes a fantastic meal.


4 comments:

  1. Lovely comfort soup..slurp......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really wonderful and the nice part is that it is not too heavy. We have soup year round, though we do move away from the heavier soups as the weather warms up. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good. I've never tried turkey soup, just chicken, thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flavor of turkey rather than chicken in soup. Not sure why. Crockpot = awesome!

    ReplyDelete