Friday, March 5, 2010

Sweet & Chunky Chicken Salad

Bad picture. I agree, but it's all I got today, sorry.

I adore waldorf salad. But I don't care for all the nasty calories in it though. With regular mayo, raisins and walnuts? No way. This is my favorite fake out for the waldorf salad. I first saw this recipe and have since made my own changes and often change it as I go. It calls for plain yogurt but I always have light & fit vanilla on hand so I usually just use that. I think the vanilla tastes better anyways.

I added a bit more sugar this time as my grapes were a bit sour. I won't see the nice sweet juicy ones until closer to spring.

I didn't have celery *gasp* so I used all cucumbers but I usually put half celery and half cucumbers.

This is amazing on whole wheat bread as a sandwich too! 

Sweet & Chunky Chicken Salad

2 cups cooked and chopped chicken breast (about 10 oz)
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped apple
1 cup red grapes, halved
1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt (or plain if you want)
1/4 cup light mayo
2 tbsp. sugar or sugar substitute
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
Couple dashes of salt

Mix the yogurt, mayo, splenda, lemon pepper and salt. Coat the chicken in this mixture. Stir in the chopped cucumber, celery, grapes and apple.

Total calories = 905
5 - 1 cup servings = 181 calories per cup

1 1/2 cups chicken salad + cheese & crackers = 467 calorie dinner

Calories calculated from, some numbers are rounded and approximate.


  1. Debbie, this looks delightful. I don't do enough lower calorie cooking. I'll be back often to see what you've been working on.

  2. A waldorf definitely calls for the sweeter yogurt. This looks delicious!

  3. vanilla yogurt in chicken salad...thanks for the tip!!