Friday, March 26, 2010

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas



I am a salty, crunchy snack fan. Big time.


I also SOOOOOO overdo it when eating chips. Big time.


These babies are awesome, I can totally overdo it and not feel guilty at all!!


They are a snap to make and so healthy to munch on. Very filling also!


I've made these several times and have been experimenting with spices. This time I broke my can into thirds and used 3 different seasonings. Today I used:


Curry Powder : 1/4 tsp. on 1/3 can of beans. I also put about 1/4 tsp. salt.


Chipotle Chile Powder: 1/4 tsp. on 1/3 can of beans. I also put about 1/4 tsp. salt


Freshly ground garlic pepper: About 1/4 tsp. on 1/3 of beans, maybe more. I didn't add salt as it already had salt in it.




They all turned out good. The chipotle chile powder ones were quite spicy so you might want to tone that down a bit.


I've used garlic powder, ranch powder and some other spices too but I like this combination of spices. They mixed together quite well and were a tasty snack.


Okay, who am I kidding, I ate these as a meal while watching The Biggest Loser. Seriously. I ate about 1/2 of them while the rest of the family ate spaghetti. I also had a huge salad.





Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp. salt
1/2 - 1 tsp. spice of choice. Today I used curry, chipotle chile and garlic pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Put on a dry dishtowel and pat dry. They will crisp best if you pat them dry very well.

Toss the chickpeas with the olive oil, salt and spice. Toss to coat. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for about 40 - 45 minutes, checking them often in the last 10 minutes or so.

Total calories = 520 calories
3 servings = 173 calories
2 servings = 260 calories

1/2 batch Spicy Roasted Chickpeas + big salad = 410 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.






6 comments:

  1. I always wanted to try these! You made them sound so yummy. I'm totally convinced I have to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a spicy salty person also! I love the wasabi-roasted ones that they sell in stores so I bet I would love these. You chose great spice combos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasted chickpeas. They are the perfect everyday snack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound good to me! I never know where to stop with chips and this would be much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love roasted chickpeas. I try to keep them around on weekends for snack attacks. I love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete