Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Cakes with Lime Cilantro Sour Cream



Beans just seem to be a quick fix dinner around here. We always have canned beans in every variety so they are always on hand and they don't need to be thawed out. Quick and convenient. So I often turn to them when I need a quick dinner.


These babies are awesome. The come together fairly quick and are healthy and filling.

I used Epazote in these this time. I don't usually cook with exotic ingredients, I like to keep it "real". I've seen this spice in several recipes lately and Kalyn wrote about it recently. So when my friend was doing a Penzey's run, I asked her to pick some up for me. I knew it was supposed to be good in beans and I eat a lot of beans so I figured it was worth a try.


Here is what my bottle says:

Epazote is very popular for Mexican and South American cooking, where it is used in all types of bean dishes, from chili to black bean salad. Use 2 - 3 tsp. per 2 quarts of chili, parboil with beans for soups or salads, about 1 tbsp. per pot. This is "user friendly" epazote, very fresh and chopped into small standard herb sized bits, unlike the large hunks sold at the Mexican grocers. Try in split pea or navy bean soup with ham, about 1 tbsp. per pot.

I have also heard that it is "user friendly" in other ways. It is supposed to naturally alleviate unwanted pressure that is often attributed to beans. *cough, cough* Know what I mean? I don't really have any issues there but have heard of many who do.


All that being said, I think that the epazote is good, but it didn't rock my world or anything. I think I'd just as soon use adobo seasoning. I haven't used it much so I'll keep trying it and maybe it will grow on me some more. Certainly this recipe isn't dependant on that spice, in fact, I've made these cakes several times and this is the first time I've used the epazote.




Another suggestion, these are better freshly made. I usually get about 12 patties per batch. If you aren't planning to eat all 12 at once, I would keep the bean mixture in the refrigerator until ready to use. I've made these and then reheated the next day and they just get a bit soggy and aren't as good.

Today we had a side dish to go along with these but often I'll make these and we'll just eat these for dinner. The lime sour cream is fantastic and puts them over the top!

This is linked up with My Meatless Monday over at My Sweet and Savory.  Also Just Another Meatless Monday over at Hey What's For Dinner Mom? Check them out for some great meatless recipes!! 




Spicy Black Bean Cakes with Lime Cilantro Sour Cream

Lime Sour Cream:
1/2 cup sour cream, light
2 tsp. lime juice
1 small jalapeno, minced
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
Salt

Bean Cakes:
1 onion, minced
6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeno peppers, diced
1/2 red pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. Epazote (or cumin or adobo spice or whatever)
1 cup sweet potato, grated (packed in the cup, don't skimp)
1 egg
2 pieces of 40 calorie bread, toasted and crumbled
Green onion for garnish

Mix ingredients for sour cream, cover and refrigerate.

Cook onions and red peppers until softened, stir in jalapenos, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, stir in black beans and mash with a fork or a potato masher. Season with salt, pepper and epazote (if using). Mix in sweet potatoes, egg and bread crumbs. Use slightly heaping 1/4 cup and divide into 12 patties. Cook on stovetop with cooking spray, about 6 - 10 minutes per side, until desired crispness. Cooking time will depend on how hot the pan is. Serve with Lime Cilantro Sour Cream.

Total calories = 1155 calories with sour cream
12 servings = 97 calories per patty with sour cream

3 Spicy Black Bean Cakes + 1 serving Apple Mash = 461 calorie dinner



Calories calculated from Calorieking.com, some numbers are rounded and approximate.





10 comments:

  1. This looks great. I have never heard of epazote but I will keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beans, especially in patty form. I'm pretty sure I like them more than regular burgers actually! The lime sauce sounds so good - the perfect accompaniment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love black bean 'burgers'!! Just like Joanne - more so than regular ones. These look really delicious - love the lime sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look YUMMY! I love black bean burgers and I never thought to add the lime & cilantro to sour cream. I can't wait to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of epazote either - I love learning about new things! Your black bean burgers look wonderful, and the sour cream garnish sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are going to blow my kids minds! They looks so great!


    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday-can't wait to see what you bring to the table next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I removed my las post because the link wasn't working.

    This recipe looks sooooo yummy!!! My sisters and I just started our first themed blog hop over at http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com every Sunday!. This weeks theme is appetizers. We would love for you to come over and share these or any of your favorite appetizer recipes with our blog readers. Have a great weekend.
    Nanci

    ReplyDelete