Monday, March 29, 2010

Shredded Beef, Bean and Corn Fajitas



So I like to get beef roasts on sale. Of course. I get everything on sale. Usually I get about a 3 1/2 lb. beef roast and I have a Shredded Beef Master Recipe that I use to prepare 2 meals. It's a nice way to get 2 meals out of one fairly inexpensive roast. Actually, it's way more than 2 meals because they usually yield many leftovers for lunches during the week.

So tonight I took the half of the shredded beef and used it for fajitas. Super delicious. The other half will be used for BBQ Beef and Bean Sandwiches.





This is a pretty versatile dish. Add what you like. I often change the spices to whatever I feel like at the time. Today I had some chipotles in adobo sauce in the frig so a couple of teaspoons of the adobo sauce went in. Sometimes, it's chipotle powder. Hey, it's fajitas. You can do whatever you want.






Shredded Beef, Bean and Corn Fajitas


1 onion
1 clove of garlic
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. adobo seasoning
2 tsp. adobo sauce (from can of chipotles in adobo sauce)

Stove top method: Cook onion and garlic until tender. Stir in shredded beef, undrained tomatoes, corn, beans and spices. Bring to boiling, then simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes.

Crockpot method: Dump everything in the crockpot for a few hours until hot. This is my prefered method, can you tell? :-)

Serve on toasted tortillas with desired toppings.

I didn't calculate the exact calories but based on previous calculations, 1 tortilla with meat, 1 tbsp. sour cream, tomatoes, onions and lettuce is ABOUT 300 calories. Maybe a bit less. I'm good with estimating though.

6 comments:

  1. These fajitas look terrific, very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious fajita with corn and beans in the mix. And chipotle! My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just found tonight's dinner. These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wish I was having dinner at your house! I love fajitas and the adobo sauce. Pretty good eating for 300 calories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful! I can't wait to try:) Stop over I am hosting an Anniversary Giveaway:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing you back at Crock Pot Wednesday this week. Thanks for linking up last week and entering the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete